HybridZ

Clicking noise from under the dash

I searched a little bit and couldn't find anything about this. When I'm braking, there is a clicking noise coming from under the drivers side dash. Not all the time though. It doesn't do it at low speeds, just when I'm braking kind of hard. More like medium. Anyway, the clicking sounds like a relay or something. Any ideas what could be under there? I can't exactly look for the noise while I'm driving.

Edit: Just realized this isn't the right category for this question. Not sure how to delet my post.

Edited by jakez

Need to tell us the type of car when you post questions. 

There are a number of relays under the dash including the turn signal flasher.

Just a hunch. Do all of your  turn signals and lights work?

Look under the dash. Anything clicking there?

Yeah I feel stupid. It's a 77 280z. All of my lights and turn signals work fine, other than one marker light. The speed at wich it clicks is realy random, it can be realy fast or slow, like spread out between clicks. What other relays are there? Does anybody know where I can find electrical schematics online?

FSM here: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Buy a Haines manual  as well.

You are not providing enough information to diagnose the problem.

Study the problem, read the Haines and FSM electrical sections.

Get a helper and go under the dash and listen for  where the clicking is coming from while pressing the brake. Identify the part that clicks. Why would it click when pressing the brake? Is it  tied into the brake light circuit? What component(s) does the brake light circuit pass through? etc. etc.

This will be a way of life as long as you own an old Z car.

end

I guess I didn't make it clear that it only does it while stopping. Not just pressing the brake pedal. As if the forward momentum has something to do with it. That's why I said I can't look at it when it's happening. Sorry, I tend to leave out details because I'm not reading this from someone else's point of view. I guess I fill in the blanks without realizing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So after looking at some schematics, I've learned that there are in fact two relays right under the dash on the drivers side. One is for the fuel pump which is only energized when the key is in the start position or when the afm is open. So I figure the afm flap could be closing when I hit the brakes causing te relay to click on and off, which will turn off the fuel pump. But it's not really a problem since I'm braking. Yep.

So after looking at some schematics, I've learned that there are in fact two relays right under the dash on the drivers side. One is for the fuel pump which is only energized when the key is in the start position or when the afm is open. So I figure the afm flap could be closing when I hit the brakes causing te relay to click on and off, which will turn off the fuel pump. But it's not really a problem since I'm braking. Yep.

I don't think relay is the case , if your fuel pump relay turns off then the car wouldn't run . Try to apply the brake pedal and/or clutch pedal ( if you have one ) while the car is at stop to see if you hear anything . Could be your pedal assembly or pedal push rods

Well...  I have a fuel pump relay that clicks...  Not the same setup at all, but I'm using an old, original relay that I should have changed out a long time ago.  I've checked the wiring and ground, but I guess it's just old and tired and doesn't hold in 100% of the time.  Fairly randomly the coil let's go, then engages again - I can hear it click when it does.

. So I figure the afm flap could be closing when I hit the brakes causing te relay to click on and off, which will turn off the fuel pump. But it's not really a problem since I'm braking. Yep.

My 76 used to do that.  You can adjust the contact switch in the AFM to make it go away. 

Could also be that your brake booster is leaking intake vacuum, causing the low RPM and low air flow that causes the AFM switch to open.