HybridZ

My not so Fairlady Z...VH Swap

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been making some small progress with the Z. Have a few other spring projects going on at the moment.

I was able to install some gold foil tape from DEI on the hood and firewall to keep the heat out. It came out pretty good. The foil tape does not have any stretch at all and was a pain to install on the hood.

13118975_698115343664409_902812737121404

Next I need to get the steering rack modified for manual steering, and then the clutch & brake master cylinders installed along with the hard lines.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! Sorry for not keeping you all up to date! I made a career change and I don't sit in front of a computer all day anymore. So in the past few weeks I have made some very good progress on the car.

I put the engine back together and spray painted the block with 2K epoxy primer and 2K Titanium Metallic. Stuff works amazing! From now on that's how I am going to paint engines. It dries super hard and doesn't chip up when you tighten bolts down. Nasty stuff so make sure to use a respirator.

20160724_181047_zpsn7baomwc.jpg

20160724_184631_zpsbm9e6lp4.jpg

20160731_1841540_zpsef4wrdan.jpg

20160803_120748_zpsy17luwoi.jpg

I Finally made a set of engine mounts for myself! Also modified the oil filter housing to accommodate -12AN fittings for the filter housing/thermostat.  
20160807_140343_zps05blzdnc.jpg

Finally dropped the engine in!
20160807_145754_zpsiwlw9p8t.jpg

Screenshot_2016-08-07-19-15-35-1_zpsdzqr

I modified a Nissan Rogue manual steering rack to fit into the Z subframe. It works amazing! 255's on epoxy floors with the engine in and I can turn it with my left hand. It's tough but much easier than the Z32 steering rack with no P/S.

20160717_195147_zpsut7ojtpr.jpg

I found a Non-Cruise Control OEM 3spoke steering wheel center section. I couldn't be happier with how it looks!
20160727_214950_zpscv1l8bqe.jpg

Next I need to get the braking system in, then I can start to figure out how I am going to run the exhaust. I am going to have to run the steering shaft between the headers. Should be interesting!

Eric,

You must be doing something right. I've gots nithin' but h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8! Even if I get my engine started in the next century, it'll never surpass what you've conjured up with that angry "Bruce Banner" Build. Keep updating papa. -Si

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, love the 45, and your choice of color and bolt kit makes that thing look like it was pulled out of a jdm race bike or something. Spot on. I had a question about your brake setup, are those srt8 rear calipers? I ask because I broke a bleeder on my brother-in-laws srt8 jeep and couldn't believe how cheap you can get refurbished brembo 4-pots for and thought they would be a great size to up the s30's front braking power.