HybridZ

Megasquirt Questions

Vonlam43

I've recently come into some money and am trying to figure which path to take as a megasquirt controller. I've read the manual and only questions several times but to no avail am having trouble trying to figure out what I want to do. For starters I have a L28e that I turbocharged from a 77 280z. The only thing I'm looking to do is controll my fuel and spark and be able to tune properly somewhere in the neighborhood of around 15-18lbs of boost. I'm just trying to figure which version my money will be best spent in and is the most user friendly. I work for CarQuest so oem parts aren't incredibly hard to come by and I have a budget of around 500$-700$ if I can get any input from current users about their systems it would be much appreciated thank you.

Best advice I can give is buy a DIY kit and do it yourself.  I ran awhile with the 3.57 and still was frustrated I didn't understand MS enough.  So I bought a DIY kit and assembled it.  I've sold the 3.0 board since but will never regret doing it as it answered NUMEROUS questions for me. 

Also, you need to really spend time reading on the Tach Inputs of MS and how you are going to accomplish that (what distributor you are using and how to you intend to wire it so MS can get an RPM signal)

Also need to know what coil you are using.  The 3.0 can drive a coil directly as all the parts are included but the 3.57 will require a mod to drive it. (small part soldered on the board with a jumper wire and resistor) 

Read Read Read Read Read.  I am 5 months into MS and am still a Noob.  I've driven my car some but am battling "noise" as they call it.  Watch all of Bruce's seminars from the MegaMeet.  The videos are on DIY's site.  Get a good understanding of Noise and proper wiring because you WILL deal with it no matter what anyone else says to you.

Get a wideband.  You will be thankful you did.