HybridZ

LS1 240Z AC

Sorry,Litman just re-read your post and i completely screwed the pooch.I ran all hoses in front of radiator support.Then ran suction and discharge underneath compressor utilizing 180 degree fittings(never liked running lines over the top of compressor).This gives a much cleaner look I think.

post-24405-0-22685800-1358387579_thumb.jpg

post-24405-0-61069000-1358387587_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the follow-up response.  I was completely confused by the previous post but was afraid to admit it.  I thought perhaps you had some super unobtanium system the worked without a compressor.  Thanks for the images.  I like the clean install.  Certainly gives me a lot of ideas.  Being that my compressor is in the stock LS1 location, which is directly below the water pump inlet/outlet, I am thinking of installing the four way bulkhead fitting just above the PS frame rail, near the shock tower.  The lines, perhaps hard lines, will run in the fender well back to a point where then can punch through into the cabin.  Need to noodle on this a bit more but it would provide the cleanest look possible.  There will only be four short lines running in the engine bay from the bulkhead fitting to the compressor and water pump.

Thanks for the inspiration.

CIMG0827.JPG

CIMG2212

CIMG2214

Vintage Air Gen 2 Compac.  Pretty big to fit it, but it did indeed fit with a little persuasion of sheet metal and some rough fab/welding.

Local AC shop crimped the fittings free as long as I bought the hoses/fittings from them.  Nice bulkhead fittings shown thru the firewall save a few bucks vs. the male-male ones typically used.

I cut out my factory slider stuff in the center, leaving a little material around the perimeter, cut and painted a piece of aluminum, and screwed onto that material.  These electric controls from VA are super nice and have a nice glow at night when hooked into the IP lights.

AC rheostat directly carries the current for the AC clutch, actually with the binary switch in between that shuts off the compressor for excessively low or high pressure.  Bypassed the PCM, only negative is that I have to manually turn on fans.

Used Billet Specialties AC hose clamps, modified with longer bolts and sleeves to act as mounting posts through the sheet metal.

On most modern cars when you hit the a/c button the button is connected directly to the ecm for the engine.The engine ecm controls the cooling fans and the a/c compressor.Why-engine speed-up on a/c request is obvious.But the ecm does things that most people do not notice-like cut the a/c clutch at WOT throttle and kill the fans at cruising speed even if the a/c is on.A/c will require a very well designed fan/shroud system.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting this from the past. I just received a Vintage Air Compact unit. I didn't realize there is no fresh air supply. Looks like I might be able to install the OEM fresh make up air damper, if I take it off the old heater fan motor. It would be pretty hard to get it to plumb directly into the Vintage Air unit, but would at least supply a source of fresh air to draw from when open. Anyone else do anything else like this?

I have been researching Vintage air (actually just purchased a Gen II mini). I read somewhere that Vintage Air does not recommend a fresh air intake. For my car, I am going to block off the cowl hole for the original HVAC, but leave the vent ducts, so if you want fresh air you can pull the cable.... or open a window.