HybridZ

Electronic Speedometer conversion.

Madovic

I have been searching the archives for a few weeks and found a post referencing the archives about using a 1991 240sx VSS.  (http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/101763-putting-in-an-electronic-speedometer/?hl=speed+sensor&do=findComment&comment=953211) I've got the 240 VSS and the pinion removed from my old speedo cable output but I cannot find any additional references about the conversion.

I've removed the roll pin from the 240sx vss but can't get the part out to replace with my pinion.  Anyone have any idea what I need to search for to find some real information, I've been trolling around for a while on this now.

Thanks,

Tim

The 91 sensor goes directly into the earlier transmissions. You don't change the pinion, you change the WHOLE ASSEMBLY, and just alter it to fit (cutting a flat with a Dremel for the retainer 180 degrees from the stock location makes the VSS "universal fitment"! Same or changing speedo pinion s, no need to change the carrier, just modify it...)

The only difference is wether you have to rotate it 180 degrees. Basically there are only two locations to the pinion "hi" and "low" and that is accomplished by turning the holder 180 degrees. If its not engaging the tranny drive gear (tranny before 79/80 I believe) then rotate it 180 and it will engage. You will have to cut the flat for the retainer in this new location (in the vss body) -- teeth on the pinion is totally irrelevant as is rear gear, you will use the "calibrate" function on the speedo to know what number of pulses occur in a mile...and you're done!

Good luck!

Edited by Tony D

Thanks for the reply, the 91' vss I got doesn't actually have a gear on it.  There is D shaped metal axle (for lack of a specific name for whatever it is) that is installed where the pinion was installed in the original housing.  I could take a picture this evening and post it.  Is there more than 1 VSS for a 91' 240sx MT?  (I suppose I could have acquired the wrong one.)  I'll post a photo tonight if what I am describing isn't clear.  The housing looks correct and should be easily modifiable to go into my tranny and wiring seems straight forward.

Thanks again, 

TIm

It looks like I'll answer my own question.  The pinion gear for the 240sx VSS attaches differently, I need to get the pinion for the S13 VSS (and retaining clip), I guess that is what I get for ordering a new VSS rather than sourcing one from a pick-n-pull.

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have just bought a speedhut speedometer and a 240sx speedo sensor, but I can't find any reference for the wiring of the speedosensor? There is one green and one black, is one signal? Should the other one have a 12V in? which is which?  All the schematics I found was with two yellow wires...

• 4 weeks later...

I have hooked it up but I'm not getting a signal, altough the vss tested out fine on the bench. Is it as simple as the vss is installed 180 degrees wrong?

Edit: nevermind, just a bad connection between the vss and speedhut wiring...

Edited by spiff