HybridZ

Datsun Parts LLC

Ghettodeffender

Hi, so i know everyone had there doubts about this guy, and so did i when i read the threads about him after i had ordered an engine from him.

I ordered a l28 with flat top pistons, and provided a stage 2 msa cam with schneider valve train for the build.

He had the engine done in a week and from the get go the work looked good. I hooked up the engine and was skeptical how it would run.  Well, she fired right up with no problems, no leaks, just a good running engine. so far i have driven it about a 100 miles with no hint of problems, and still running great. Engine has lots of power and runs smooth.

Al from Datsun Parts llc was really easy to work with and i personally saw hi home where he assembles the engines and the shop that he has do the machine work. Both are very clean and organized. So as of right now i am very statisfied with his work and will continue to update this thread down as i get more miles on the engine.

Edited by Ghettodeffender

I ordered a P90 head with an MSA "stage 3" cam kit installed on it. Everything worked/works well, although I did have my doubts on the cam since the car never sounded like it, compared to other Z's I've seen with the same cam. Not to mention I got the entire thing for $300 and a cam kit alone (cam, springs, retainers, etc) from MSA is $700. I would have to put a dial to the cam and measure the duration and lift again. Acted like a stage 3 was described. 3.1L motor with triple webers, floor it and you could definitely feel it pick up its feet at 3500.

I shy away now due to the price.

My engine is from him as well. I havent turned a key yet, but plan to very shortly. Everything is almost ready to go finally.. Its a F54 block, P90A head. 89mm flat top pistons, shaved head, stock cam.

I have bought a few other items from him, and he turns them around pretty quick out the door. One of the big ones was the rear disc brake conversion kit. I have called and talked to him a few times, and he seems like a good guy. No problems.

• 1 month later...

Ordered some gaskets from him. The head gasket came in bent with a nasty kink. No way I could use it. He packaged up a new one no questions asked and sent a replacement for me to keep going on my project. Great service and reasonable prices. 

We need to support our hobby, so we are not left out on our own. It will happen. Have a neighbor that works on Model t's and old 20's to 40's cars. He has to make all his parts whether its replacement or customizing. 

• 4 weeks later...

An update, i drove my z with the Datsun LLC motor in 1200 miles to and back from orange county to tahoe, car worked great even at high alltitude, i maxed out the engine at top speed, it kept puling hard and showed no sign of problems. It has been running flawlessly.  All in all i have about 3000 miles.

My valve rockers fell off on intakes 4, 5 and 6, had to have DOC510 come out to my house to fix it. Got extremely lucky none fell through, retainers held them in place, but one retainer came out in three pieces not two. Not sure how exactly that happens, but the entire valve train wasnt correct. Runs pretty dang good now, but still working on my webers getting them tuned right. I knew what I was possibly getting into buying a custom engine setup from out of state... if something happened it was on me to fix. But still, never expected something like this to happen. Have been in contact with Allen throughout the entire ordeal. He did offer to fix it if I took the headoff and shipped it back to him. Price you pay buying out of state... 

Curious - did you check wipe patterns while you were working on it?  I get the impression that the guy buys used parts, shines them up, assembles them in to packages (custom?), then resells.  You might have a grab bag of parts assembled to make one engine, with little atention paid to the important details.

I did contact them but minimum package he showed me was around 10k then shipping on top of that.

interesting, I know you can get the 3.0liter stroker package which is pistons, cranks etc for 3kish on the site, I think heard someone paying for a motor for 5 or little higher that gets about 240hp.  I might be wrong though...

My valve rockers fell off on intakes 4, 5 and 6, had to have DOC510 come out to my house to fix it. Got extremely lucky none fell through, retainers held them in place, but one retainer came out in three pieces not two. Not sure how exactly that happens, but the entire valve train wasnt correct. Runs pretty dang good now, but still working on my webers getting them tuned right. I knew what I was possibly getting into buying a custom engine setup from out of state... if something happened it was on me to fix. But still, never expected something like this to happen. Have been in contact with Allen throughout the entire ordeal. He did offer to fix it if I took the headoff and shipped it back to him. Price you pay buying out of state... 

Odd I had the same thing happen. I bought a new P90A head from him which I ported, came from him with Schneider "stage 3" kit for an awkwardly low price of like $300-$400, mind you the cam kit itself from MSA was $700. When I built the motor the cam specs came out correct, never had a problem with wipe pattern or eating a cam or rockers from perhaps used parts. I always questioned the springs because my motor did not like it above 6000RPM. I've never heard valve float before but this was basically good up to 6000RPM and then it sounded like a rev limiter, making the motor miss bad. Wouldn't go past it.

One day I decided I was going to stay in 1st gear and slowly go through the RPM's. Started doing the missing at around 6000RPM and then I heard a metallic sound and all of a sudden I was on 5 cylinders. I stopped and noticed I flung an exhaust rocker. Lash pad was sitting down in the head with the rocker so I got lucky too. I've never solved that problem but my best bet is valve float.... and at that RPM it may suggest I didn't get the springs with the "kit". Other than that I had everything checked on the head before I built the motor and it came out clean as a whistle.

Edited by josh817