HybridZ

valves clacking after adjustment

Ghettodeffender

So today i got my valves adjusted after driving on my new engine for about 100 miles, at first it was purring like a kitten, but by the end of my 15 minute drive home from the mechanic the valves started clacking again. Is it possible my valves arent completely seated and wlil require further adjustment? What are your thoughts on this ?

• 4 weeks later...

The valvetrain makes noise. PERIOD.

If it's quiet, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!

They are noiser cold than once warmed up.

Purpose of adjustment is to ADD clearances that close up as valves pound into the head. After an adjustment unless something was way wrong, you will ALWAYS be noisier than before the adjustment.

Check them again to be sure,but don't delude yourself into thinking a valve adjustment QUIETS a properly running engine. It does just the opposite.

Quiet Valves are valves without enough seat time on the head, that run hot, and burn prematurely. Run an Air Cooled VW and this dynamic gets into your being and soul. It's no different for an L-Engine. Valves need to be on the seat to cool down. You make them 'quiet' and you remove lash---this increases time open, and decreases seat-time to cool. You alter the valve event timing considerably due to the ramps on the cam. As little as 0.002" maladjustment can mean significant changes in valve timing events.

You don't have to believe me, get a cam degree wheel, and do it. See for yourself!

Edited by Tony D

So the problem is solved, after the shop in my town adjusted the valves twice and still the loud noise persisted, i decided these mechanics were crap or there was something very wrong going on in my engine. So i took the car to Mikes Z Shop in whittier and had them look at it, and it turned out that the valves just weren't adjusted properly so they readjusted them.