New VQ swap on the way!

zero

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah It definitely needs to go lower. Looking at my crossmember in an earlier post, I cut pretty much exactly the same amount of material out as Austin. looking at where his throttle body sits relative to the cowl, I need to go about an inch down and half an inch back. We'll see if there is enough wiggle in the mounts to get it down. And for the record, I wasn't talking about cutting the firewall, but the bracing on the inside of the hood.

Edited by zero

I don't believe Austin cut into the firewall

https://sites.google.com/a/vq240z.com/www/enginemounts

Ahh You're right, Austin didn't cut into the firewall.  Still it's a tight fit, and w/o cutting in, you'll probably have to mod that crossmember some more. I guess I was confusing Austin and Myron's build. I know Myron really cut into the firewall.  I guess Austin's only cut was for that sensor on the lower right.   Anyway it's how you can make it fit.   If you lower it a little more you might have more room. The engine looks like it's tilted up a little in front.

Why brace the hood? It's not supporting anything but itself.  Rather than the "traditional" hood clips to hold it shut, I'd like to see someone Get a second stock latch and move them to the corners, connected by a cable. You then pull the Stock handle inside and it unlatches both corners.

Edited by Pharaohabq

Not that I know of, In this case it looks like the only things that could prevent it from being mounted lower is the Steering crossmember, or his engine mount crossmember.  The only other thing which I would certainly hope would never be an issue is the pavement below :icon12:

Fiddled with it a bit yesterday. For the engine about .5" lower and further back. Still just barely hits the hood but its not bad now. What's keeping it from going lower is the engine cradle/mounts/isolaters, nothing is hitting. I'm either gonna trim the hood or look into slightly shorter isolaters or both. Here are some pics of how it sits now.

post-278-0-98091700-1367420292_thumb.jpg

post-278-0-91687600-1367420311_thumb.jpg

Edited by zero

• 2 weeks later...

Can you see where's it's hitting?   You may need to cut the mounts off the side L brackets and re position another .5 inch or so.  that should give you the space w/o too much other modification.  How is the steering crossmember looking now?  Also, is the tranny bolted up, or is it still hanging too?  if it is, jack the tail up a little and see if the hood clears.  it's tight...

After entirely too much fiddling, it turns out the trans had to move down a little bit. I ended up making some spacers to drop the tail of the tranny, and therefore the throttle body, a bit. Also made some inner plates for the trans mount. Going up to test it today.

post-278-0-26913100-1368562832_thumb.jpg

post-278-0-38790400-1368562839_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So It's been a little while since I've updated this, but I've got a little progress to post. The mounts are welded in, at least as much as I can get to without pulling the engine back out. It will certainly be enough to start it and get it running well before I paint the engine bay. 

I also followed Austin's lead and cut the ends off of the stock headers and welded some bends on there to clear the firewall so I can start the thing without burning up the car. I'll be tying into an existing LS exhaust at some point. 

post-278-0-03003500-1371154809_thumb.jpeg

post-278-0-51133200-1371154819_thumb.jpeg

post-278-0-07822800-1371154825_thumb.jpeg