HybridZ

280zx racing suspension

lowdown

I picked this all up a long time ago, was gong to strip it for one of my 240z projects but need money while starting up a new store.   I think its for a 280zx but not 100% sure. Just wanted some feedback before putting it up on ebay.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/albums/u627/AustinCell/280zx%20Racing%20Suspension/

Edited by lowdown

Wow that's nuts, talk about time capsule. The rear cross member looks very custom and has a similar "cradle" to hold the diff.

As for pricing, There is a lot of work done particularly to the control arms, front and rear. Someone installed Heim joints which if its done correctly is worth something. Most of the other stuff can be bought or fabricated or borrowed from other nissan chassis.

Not sure yet, any offers?  :)   Hoped to put it on a kitcar but already have 6 other Z cars. 

I believe I am missing one shock,  both front struts are there, carera coilovers, AP brakes.   Looking closely, everything is welded, then overlapped and welded to make everything really strong.  I am in the Austin TX area if anyone wants to come look at it.

These brake rotors are huge. lol

IMG_20130120_123325.jpg

They look like an inch thick. Value can easily be a few G's to the right person, although there are not a lot of 280zx owners out there. 

Can you get more picks of the heim joint ends on the control arms? front and rear please?

Edited by BluDestiny

It's all awesome stuff, but I think you might have a hard time selling it for 2k, and he's my take on it.

Heim joints aren't expensive, just labor intensive to do well and takes welding skills. The brakes, though beefy, won't be to everyone's liking. They're huge, and I'm betting are quite heavy. The center fin design doesn't look terribly efficient and thus there's just a lot of wasted weight in the design, which every hardcore racer will care about. Anyone who's not hardcore is going to want something more blingy like 6 pot willwoods. The struts/coils will suffer the same fate I'm afraid, as hardcore racers know that struts that get used need to be rebuilt often enough, and springs are springs, and are a dime a dozen. And again, those that aren't studying strut dynos will probably want something with anodized threaded tubes. 

The REAL thing of value that I want more info on, is that diff arrangement. Looks like a modified perch for some other type of diff, and I'm really curious what type of diff it is that's pictured there.

All in all, it MIGHT be worth $2k to the right person, and I can certainly agree to that if we're talking about the right time to the right buyer.

Ebay? I'd expect it to go for $500 min $1k max.

It's all awesome stuff, but I think you might have a hard time selling it for 2k, and he's my take on it.

Heim joints aren't expensive, just labor intensive to do well and takes welding skills. The brakes, though beefy, won't be to everyone's liking. They're huge, and I'm betting are quite heavy. The center fin design doesn't look terribly efficient and thus there's just a lot of wasted weight in the design, which every hardcore racer will care about. Anyone who's not hardcore is going to want something more blingy like 6 pot willwoods. The struts/coils will suffer the same fate I'm afraid, as hardcore racers know that struts that get used need to be rebuilt often enough, and springs are springs, and are a dime a dozen. And again, those that aren't studying strut dynos will probably want something with anodized threaded tubes. 

The REAL thing of value that I want more info on, is that diff arrangement. Looks like a modified perch for some other type of diff, and I'm really curious what type of diff it is that's pictured there.

All in all, it MIGHT be worth $2k to the right person, and I can certainly agree to that if we're talking about the right time to the right buyer.

Ebay? I'd expect it to go for $500 min $1k max.

If that... there aren't a lot of guys racing 280ZX's and those who do will typically have slotted their rear cross members or installed hemi joints as well.  There is way too much unsprung extra weight there to race that. That stuff looks HEAVY.  What I find interesting is the cross member isn't angled like the stock 280ZX with the SEMI-trailing a-arms - these look like they are fully trailing.  Are you sure this even bolts up to a 280ZX?  There are other Datsun's this might have been built to fit into.

Byron of the Datsun 510 fame built an amazing 510 adjustable rear cross member kit and is developing a 280ZX rear cross member adjustable brackets kit for $300.  Prototypes should be out soon and will give you the full range of adjustment (camber and toe) with all your stock pieces all of which is more than capable and I suspect much lighter.

http://www3.telus.net/byron510/meston_motorsports_003.htm

Post your link on E-Bay - I'll be curious to see what it sells for.

Edited by FricFrac

I didn't think about the angle fricfrac. A quick search found:

510:

rear_old.JPG

280ZX:

Z_zx_rear_susp__001.jpg

Looking at those pictures, if I was a buyers, I'd want to see them installed on a 280ZX before pulling the trigger.

Edited by Gollum

That suspension on a 510 would be death - you may as well drive a fully loaded dump truck. The 510 stock suspension still has more angle than this suspension. The 510 cross member also is about 4" tall and the 280ZX is about half that or even less. Who knows - it might even be built for an 810, etc.

No offense to the OP but the only reason I would see this being of value to anyone is if it was off the original owners car and he wanted to buy it back. If you want it for racing swapping over an S13 or S14 rear sub frame would give you modern geometry and a huge amount of upgrade options at a fraction of the price.

I am pretty sure 810/maxima stuff is the exact same as 280ZX stuff, and 200SX (S12) is the same as 300ZX as well as infiniti M30.    the control arms can swapped between all of them though.  S12, 280ZX, 300zx, 810 and M30 variants.  the offsets will be weird though.