HybridZ

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Mdantonio

I have managed to secure a set of the elusive JDM/OEM Style Headlight Covers for the 240, 260, and 280z. You may have seen them on ebay or other places for sale between 800-1200 dollars. I can have the chrome trim ring reproduced in carbon fiber or fiberglass and the plastic lenses in tinted, colored, or clear plastic lenses. I don't know what the cost would be just yet but don't want to pursue any further absent at least twenty sets or that level of interest. Is anyone interested? I understand the fiberglass could be painted to resemble chrome? Also, there is a possibility the chrome (metal) could be reproduced, however, that would be a little more costly than the fiberglass or carbon fiber. Please let me know if there is any interest And I'll pursue.

post-35766-0-05461700-1358968490_thumb.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in a set as well. I did, however, send my covers to someone on this form once before and the gentleman noted that he was able to reproduce the Gnose covers due to the shape, but was NOT able to reproduce the standard covers. Something to do with not having the right machinery.

I'd be interested in a set as well. I did, however, send my covers to someone on this form once before and the gentleman noted that he was able to reproduce the Gnose covers due to the shape, but was NOT able to reproduce the standard covers. Something to do with not having the right machinery.

Understood. They can be made by one of three methods, plaster mold, wood tooling or aluminum. When you vacuum mold, which to mirror the contour of the standard covers you must use a vacuum, it involves an aluminum mold. The programming to cut the mold is pricey in and of itself. I suspect the person you sent it to could vacuum.

I have the jdm standard headlight covers and trim ring (rare I know) and I am 100pct certain I can reproduce. As I said we need a minim of twenty sets. Drew, what's within "reason" in your opinion? I'm not looking to make money off the covers just make them available. The more the better... I can reproduce the trim ring in polished aluminum. And, you were sat audited with the jdm oem fit these will be satisfactory.

Understood. They can be made by one of three methods, plaster mold, wood tooling or aluminum. When you vacuum mold, which to mirror the contour of the standard covers you must use a vacuum, it involves an aluminum mold. The programming to cut the mold is pricey in and of itself. I suspect the person you sent it to could vacuum.

I have the jdm standard headlight covers and trim ring (rare I know) and I am 100pct certain I can reproduce. As I said we need a minim of twenty sets. Drew, what's within "reason" in your opinion? I'm not looking to make money off the covers just make them available. The more the better... I can reproduce the trim ring in polished aluminum. And, you were sat audited with the jdm oem fit these will be satisfactory.

Correction: "I suspect the person you sent them to (headlight covers) COULD NOT vacuum.

Very correct. Apologies, I did not have the correct term.

In that case, I am VERY interested in purchasing a set.

Not sure if you are aware, but the standard covers come in TWO types. Mounting holes are different on the rings, but more importantly, the offset of the headlight is different. I mistakenly purchased a set of headlight covers that were less offset than the ones on my Fairlady. Of course, I'd be more open to purchase a set with the more offset "bubbled" cover.

Low Offset (Flat)

post-8487-0-80502500-1358989255_thumb.jpg  Rotated  post-181-0-22060000-1358989810_thumb.jpg

High Offset (Bubbled)

post-8487-0-69871800-1358989170_thumb.jpg  Rotated  post-181-0-95981800-1358989817_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the flipped pictures, but I think you can see the difference.

What type do you have?

Edited by RB26powered74zcar

I was aware there were two types but havent seen the low offset pair. From those images it would appear I have the high offset or bubbled. If you have a tape measure you can lay across the bubbled and take a pic of that would allow me to be 100pct certain but from the images I'm very confident I have the high offset. Also, If you have a set of the low offset you'd be willing to loan for a mold we could offer both high and low offset if there's enough interest. It's not cheap to make these molds and if the trim rings are different we'd obviously need to have the programming done on those. I'm a big fan of polished aluminum and sought out the programming and mold for that purpose with regard to the trim ring

I confirmed a few things. 1). I can in fact get the trim rings in carbon fiber or fiberglass and polished aluminum as one continuous band same as OEM trim rings. 2). I do in fact have the "bubbled" or high profile lenses and can have those remade.

I will have pricing by end of next week and a set of poliahed aluminum trim rings...very exciting!

You might consider taking this to Classic Z Car or Zcar.com.

I myself have been waiting for someone to tackle this project, and I'm quite sure there's others from all these sites. I think a quality repro would do well on Ebay also. Don't know if all the years I have been on these sites that I have seen anyone try reproducing these elusive covers.

Anxious to see how they turn out!!!!!!!!!!!  

You might consider taking this to Classic Z Car or Zcar.com.

I myself have been waiting for someone to tackle this project, and I'm quite sure there's others from all these sites. I think a quality repro would do well on Ebay also. Don't know if all the years I have been on these sites that I have seen anyone try reproducing these elusive covers.

Anxious to see how they turn out!!!!!!!!!!!  

Good idea, I'll keep em here until the first run...:)

Yes, they look great, and I think they finish out the design of this car. I get many comments on the flimsy MSA ones on my car now.

Yours will be thicker plastic I hope?

I also like the idea of having a choice on the trim ring!

They will be top shelf...I'm doing my best to keep costs as low as possible! I can say putting the set I have on my 260z I can see why everyone wants these!

We will have a lot of choices in color of the lenses and I planned to make them a little more stout...the trim rings should be neat in true carbon fiber and fiberglass to paint to match the car but personally I'm excited about the polished aluminum. I do not have a low profile lens so if anyone does and wants lens options in low profile pm me a number and perhaps we can figure out how to get those offered as well...

I'm probably one of the few that will want the low profile option. Hopefully someone will help out by offering those for replication.

Of course I have never seen either lens option up close and in person, so maybe I am judging incorrectly. i'd love to see both versions pictured next to each other ON a car.

Understood. They can be made by one of three methods, plaster mold, wood tooling or aluminum. When you vacuum mold, which to mirror the contour of the standard covers you must use a vacuum, it involves an aluminum mold. The programming to cut the mold is pricey in and of itself. I suspect the person you sent it to could vacuum. I have the jdm standard headlight covers and trim ring (rare I know) and I am 100pct certain I can reproduce. As I said we need a minim of twenty sets. Drew, what's within "reason" in your opinion? I'm not looking to make money off the covers just make them available. The more the better... I can reproduce the trim ring in polished aluminum. And, you were sat audited with the jdm oem fit these will be satisfactory.

Firstly,  thanks for taking the initiative on this project!  As for the question about cost being within "reason" I dont think it would be fair for me to suggest a figure as I am not familiar with the costs of production.  What I do know is that there is likely a good market in the Z world for those wanting quality covers without the $800-$1200 pricetag.  I do not want to put a set of the reproduction covers (MSA, Black Dragon Auto) on my new build as they are of mediocre quality and cheapen the overall look of the car in my opinion.  I would be willing to pay more for a quality product that is going to last and look like it belongs on the car.  Following this thread with great hope!

Okay I agree and they will be of high quality. The tooling equipment and chucks that need to be made for these are where most of your expense is Incurred. What's even more difficult is to find people willing to even take on this type of work. It wasn't a fun process but I've managed to get all the pieces together and we should be able to start enjoying the new products very soon!

I look forward to your results. I'd be in for a set of aluminium polished, as well as bubbled lenses.  Could you please post a picture of your set of headlight covers? Headlight covers have been known to have conflicting pre-drilled holes among the early and later (flat/bubbled) types.

I look forward to your results. I'd be in for a set of aluminium polished, as well as bubbled lenses.  Could you please post a picture of your set of headlight covers? Headlight covers have been known to have conflicting pre-drilled holes among the early and later (flat/bubbled) types.

There is a thumbnail of the covers at the bottom of Mdantonio first post.  It looks like the bolt holes are in the location of the "early" covers which appear to have been the ones that had some fitment and quality problems.  I have attached a link that shows the "early" and "late" buckets and the placement of the bolt holes.

http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/

There is a thumbnail of the covers at the bottom of Mdantonio first post.  It looks like the bolt holes are in the location of the "early" covers which appear to have been the ones that had some fitment and quality problems.  I have attached a link that shows the "early" and "late" buckets and the placement of the bolt holes.

http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/

Ah! My apologies... overlooked the thumbnail.