HybridZ

Suspension

canammx1

I have an 83 with sportmax xxr 002's. I am looking to put tokico hpk255 struts and 1" lowering springs on it. And polyurethane bushings. I have been hearing that I would have issues doing the poly bushings with the stock running gear.

Will I need to upgrade anything else when doing these mods to avoid breaking anything?

Alex

I'm looking to just switch to the S13 suspension the next time I bother spending money on suspension parts.  Not swapping entire rear suspension, but using the S13 coilover setup as described by cutting the zx front tubes and rewelding the lower section in place instead from the S13 kit.

One thing a friend of mine pointed out - the TTT isn't a TC rod anymore. With swivels on both end there is no tension trying to hold the arm from "rolling" over so while the beefier arm will prevent deflection there is more stress on various other pieced because there is no tension on the arm itself...

One thing a friend of mine pointed out - the TTT isn't a TC rod anymore. With swivels on both end there is no tension trying to hold the arm from "rolling" over so while the beefier arm will prevent deflection there is more stress on various other pieced because there is no tension on the arm itself...

That's the incorrect definition of tension for this.  It still resists both the tension force trying to lenghten the rod, and compression that is trying to shorten the rod.

Has anyone seen evidence with the TTT TC rods that the rod end has been trying to roll under/over its pivot and/or any lower control arm twisting fatigue?  What forces acting on the control arm would be causing this?  Would the disc brake torque load put a significant stress on the less controlled TTT TC/lower control arm/ball joint or would the upper strut assembly take the majority of that stress?  I'd like to know before I change out my TC's and find some busted lower control arms or ball joints if any has done this swap before.

I have had these on my car since they came out. No problems yet. They only have one heim joint on the fwd end to replace the bushings, and mount to the LCA like stock. I don't think there would be any twist with these, as it is a pretty long leverage arm.