HybridZ

Test drove a 2013 Focus ST today

Perfect240z

So Im in the market for a new d.d. and with a baby on the way I know im going to need 4 doors.  We have a smaller SUV for my wife, and since Im the one who commutes to work everyday im looking for a hatch back.  Im really into hot hatches and there isn't too many options here in the US.  We have the MS3, the GTI, WRX(hate the interior unless I get an STI but then its out of the price range), a mini which has two doors for a cooper, or a clubman or that weird mini suv thing which I thing is hideous...Now ford came out with the new Focus ST.  I'd like to start out by saying I've never been a Ford fan, actually was pretty against American cars all together, but times are changing and Ford has come back with such good design, reliability and quality in the last few years. So today I went and test drove the new 2013 Focus ST and I fell in love.

Before I took the car for a test drive I had to make sure the baby seat fit in the back, and after a little struggle with trying to hurry up and get it in there I had it clipped in and it fit with enough room for people to sit in and still be comfortable in the back, even though its a bit cozy in the back :)

So I took the car around the block and after I got back the salesman let me take the car on the freeway to drive to the next exit and get back on the freeway and head back.  It's been so long since I've driven a manual, I didn't stall it or anything but I forgot it was a 6 speed...while I was still in 4th lol.    The torque was so good it didn't even get high into the revs so I had to make sure to make some extra gear changes  :icon56:   Needles to say I get back have to talk to the salesman about color and options, I hate doing that at a dealer lol.  I didn't buy it but I am planning on it, I want either Blue or Black.  The one I drove was Race red...Not my color, and then the package I want is the St2 package which has the Recaro seats and the Myford touch.  Price is 26,800 for what I want, and its pretty reasonable for what you get with lots of soft touch material, good ride and so fourth.  It has great handling, quick steering, and big summer tires, the clutch had very nice feel and was very easy to drive.  

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on HZ, I don't know how many people like front wheel drive cars here.  BTW the FRS/BRZ is not an option because there's no room for a babyseat  :icon45:

So lets here some opinions  :icon10:

post-15914-0-87094500-1359344695_thumb.jpeg

post-15914-0-44216300-1359344707_thumb.jpg

So Im in the market for a new d.d. and with a baby on the way I know im going to need 4 doors.  We have a smaller SUV for my wife, and since Im the one who commutes to work everyday im looking for a hatch back.  Im really into hot hatches and there isn't too many options here in the US.  We have the MS3, the GTI, WRX(hate the interior unless I get an STI but then its out of the price range), a mini which has two doors for a cooper, or a clubman or that weird mini suv thing which I thing is hideous...Now ford came out with the new Focus ST.  I'd like to start out by saying I've never been a Ford fan, actually was pretty against American cars all together, but times are changing and Ford has come back with such good design, reliability and quality in the last few years. So today I went and test drove the new 2013 Focus ST and I fell in love.

Before I took the car for a test drive I had to make sure the baby seat fit in the back, and after a little struggle with trying to hurry up and get it in there I had it clipped in and it fit with enough room for people to sit in and still be comfortable in the back, even though its a bit cozy in the back :)

So I took the car around the block and after I got back the salesman let me take the car on the freeway to drive to the next exit and get back on the freeway and head back.  It's been so long since I've driven a manual, I didn't stall it or anything but I forgot it was a 6 speed...while I was still in 4th lol.    The torque was so good it didn't even get high into the revs so I had to make sure to make some extra gear changes  :icon56:   Needles to say I get back have to talk to the salesman about color and options, I hate doing that at a dealer lol.  I didn't buy it but I am planning on it, I want either Blue or Black.  The one I drove was Race red...Not my color, and then the package I want is the St2 package which has the Recaro seats and the Myford touch.  Price is 26,800 for what I want, and its pretty reasonable for what you get with lots of soft touch material, good ride and so fourth.  It has great handling, quick steering, and big summer tires, the clutch had very nice feel and was very easy to drive.  

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on HZ, I don't know how many people like front wheel drive cars here.  BTW the FRS/BRZ is not an option because there's no room for a babyseat  :icon45:

So lets here some opinions  :icon10:

That segment is highly competitive.  Ford's done good things over the last few years, but the competition doesn't stand still.  Our PT Cruiser HO turbo finally (183000 miles) gave up its transmission and we spent two weeks shopping hot hatchbacks.  We do a lot of traveling up and over the Sierras to Sacramento, Reno, Tahoe and such so we were really looking for an all wheel drive.  Came down to only Subarus... WRX or Forester XT.  Took the Forester.

In hindsight I wish i drove the Ford when shopping for hatchbacks, but I'm pretty happy with my turbo Sonic. The price was a factor since I was trying to stay under 20k for my DD.

The Sonic isn't the power house of the RS Focus, but it does alright. I was also compromising with my purchase to have something that had great leg room for my 6'2" son, and the Sonic has a  great amount of room.

The ride is quiet and comfortable and the car handles great.

I think they came out with a RS model on the Sonic that might need to be looked at. Plus Trifecta Tune has come out with a box to add like 80HP and 90lbs of torque to my Sonic-might have to check it out.   

2011 GTI Here.  After a turbo swap, intake, exhaust and intercooler upgrade I'm now probably somewhere above 300whp (based on advertised numbers from the company who does my tune and Dynos from other people with similar mods)

I love my hatchback.  If the Focus ST had been out when I was car shopping, I may have given it a chance.

2011 GTI Here. After a turbo swap, intake, exhaust and intercooler upgrade I'm now probably somewhere above 300whp (based on advertised numbers from the company who does my tune and Dynos from other people with similar mods)

I love my hatchback. If the Focus ST had been out when I was car shopping, I may have given it a chance.

I was going to go for the gti but I was thinking of would want some upgrades for power? I probably would, but the st has more power so I won't want to do any...at least for a lot longer lol

I rented a bunch of Fords recently and I am impressed with them all.

Nice firm suspension, great build quality.  When my Frontier flames up I will probably look at the new Explorer.

Very impressed with the Focus overall.

For a DD, I am an Auto vs 5 speed guy.

I rented a bunch of Fords recently and I am impressed with them all.

Nice firm suspension, great build quality.  When my Frontier flames up I will probably look at the new Explorer.

Very impressed with the Focus overall.

For a DD, I am an Auto vs 5 speed guy.

Yea I have always driven a auto for my DD, but now that I work closer to home and don't have a 80 mile drive almost everyday, im getting something that I can hit the corners on the way home to relieve some stress.  My new job is very stressful and I im getting a little compassion fatigue/burned out in this line of work.

When the WRX came out, Subaru was TOTALLY unprepared on how to market it! 

Salesmen were CLUELESS as to what they had... The DAY they were unloaded at the dealer, I was there for a test drive.

I had the salesman literally SCREAMING as I test drove it. My wife and son in the back (my wife covering her face in embarrassment, my young son shouting "MAKE IT SLIDE LIKE THE Z-CAR DAD!")

I did not buy, but all the other salesmen were forewarned when the guy got out and I heard him say "Oh god, I think word it out, there's got to be more out there like him!"

Actually, I kinda like the Fiesta they are selling overseas!

Edited by Tony D

Well, if you want small, I like the Primera family hatchbacks and their successor the Tiida more than the Ford Focus and Fiesta versions here in NZ. Do you get the Nissan Tiida in the US, the car that replaced the Pulsar range?

The Focuses I have driven just did not feel connected to the road and the steering felt dead. For something that forms the base of their rally cars, Fords stock unmodified non-sport model grocery getters are just too dumbed down. Altrough I haven't driven the sports package Focus yet.

Well, if you want small, I like the Primera family hatchbacks and their successor the Tiida more than the Ford Focus and Fiesta versions here in NZ. Do you get the Nissan Tiida in the US, the car that replaced the Pulsar range?

The Focuses I have driven just did not feel connected to the road and the steering felt dead. For something that forms the base of their rally cars, Fords stock unmodified non-sport model grocery getters are just too dumbed down. Altrough I haven't driven the sports package Focus yet.

No we don't get those Nissans here in the US, the new Focus is the "2nd gen" we have here in the US.  The Focus had many gens in other parts of the world.  When The focus first came out we got the first gen, then the 2nd gen...but that was the same as the first, and so fourth.  Since it changed in other countries and we lost it, Im considering it the 2nd gen lol.  But its supposed to be so good, quick steering, good power, handling i superb.  The PS is supposed to be the best in the business right now for EPS.      

No we don't get those Nissans here in the US, the new Focus is the "2nd gen" we have here in the US.  The Focus had many gens in other parts of the world.  When The focus first came out we got the first gen, then the 2nd gen...but that was the same as the first, and so fourth.  Since it changed in other countries and we lost it, Im considering it the 2nd gen lol.  But its supposed to be so good, quick steering, good power, handling i superb.  The PS is supposed to be the best in the business right now for EPS.      

FWIW, while I don't believe we had a version of the Primera in the US, we do get the Nissan Tiida, although here it is called the "Versa". Also, this is the 3rd gen Focus, with the 2nd gen playing the role of "ugly duckling".

FWIW, while I don't believe we had a version of the Primera in the US, we do get the Nissan Tiida, although here it is called the "Versa". Also, this is the 3rd gen Focus, with the 2nd gen playing the role of "ugly duckling".

Oops! I looked it up and need to correct myself: we did indeed get the Primera, but Nissan marketed it as the Infiniti G20 in the States. It only came in 4-door sedan form though.

So many fun small nifty cars that never make it stateside, and so many big land barges with Massive engines that never leave NA continent...

Sometimes life sucks, I would like a RHD NZ New F250 or F350 or Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4wd as a farm hack, almost the load space of a Mitsubishi Canter or Isuzu NPR/NPK truck and far more capable offroad scrambling up tracks where the canter would spin it's wheels.