HybridZ

Leon's Other 260Z

15 hours ago, inline6 said:

Well done!  I like "After tireless and borderline obsessive searching..."  That describes me more days of a week than not.  I haven't been very active on Hybridz.org for several years, but have been restoring a 240z for 5 years now and that has required a lot of tireless and borderline obsessive searching.  

Thanks Garrett! I bet many can relate. :)  But I know you especially have been focusing on every single detail, any idea when you'll be back on the road?

Between family, work, and other projects, it's difficult to dedicate the time like I used to. But after all these years, I still love this car. This Z will be 50 years old in a couple months and it amazes me what this 50 year old car can do. 🤙

16 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Hi! I thought the clutched STI 3.9:1 LSD was available in the years 05-07’? Meh, minor detail. Was just curious if my recollection is wrong. Maybe that’s just the US models. 

keep in mind, now that you have your LSD carrier and stub axles, you can swap out the carrier to different r180 with whatever ring/pinion ratio you like. Sounds like you will be happy with the 3.9, so you’re all set. Just nice to know you have options. I swapped my helical STI LSD carrier into a 4.11 for track purposes. 

im not sure how often the clutched carriers need to be inspected or the clutches replaced, but not a bad idea to do it now before you seal her back up. I have never had a clutched LSD myself, but I know the competitive S30 road racers prefer it. 

Hey Aydin, in the US, the 3.9 was '04-'05 only unfortunately. The '06 was unique in that it was a CLSD 3.54--'07 and later were all helical 3.54.

Good thinking! I'm planning on inspecting the carrier and replacing clutches once the diff arrives. I had ordered fresh clutches from Racing Diffs with the thought that I was going to refresh my current diff but now they can be used for the Subi unit.

Speaking of which, the diff has now arrived from the dismantler and is in Tyler's hands. He has gone the extra mile to pull the cover and take plenty of pics to confirm that it's indeed a 3.9 CLSD. ❤️ It'll be shipped out from Japan after New Years so hopefully in my hands in a few weeks!

image.png.2460900088cac208357ca02acf2f2fc2.png

image.png.e1123825b44255fa30d012c48bc425c1.png

image.png.387a337a810de05344c3e0d24db33ce9.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leon said:

Thanks Garrett! I bet many can relate. :)  But I know you especially have been focusing on every single detail, any idea when you'll be back on the road?

I think I can get it finished by the end of March.  We shall see.  I pretty much underestimate the amount of time to do anything by a lot. :)

On 12/29/2023 at 7:30 AM, inline6 said:

I think I can get it finished by the end of March.  We shall see.  I pretty much underestimate the amount of time to do anything by a lot. :)

I gave up trying to estimate completion dates long ago. In Soviet Russia, project completes you. 🙃

On 12/29/2023 at 11:04 PM, heyitsrama said:

Does the spline count for the new diff match the Kameari stubs?

Man I sure hope so... the research I've done seems to indicate that they match but I can't say I found anything 100% conclusive on this. We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 10:12 AM, Leon said:

Man I sure hope so... the research I've done seems to indicate that they match but I can't say I found anything 100% conclusive on this. We shall see.

The diff arrived this past Tuesday and I confirmed that the stub axles fit! :mparty:
image.png.5aa1403a2dde373f63c5c8f14bc5b09d.png

I'm awaiting my pinion and side seals to arrive next week. In the meantime, I'll clean up and paint the diff and then it's install time. I've decided to install it as-is and only fit new clutches into the diff if I feel like it's needed. I bought bolts for the rear cover from ZCar Depot instead of fitting studs. I'm assuming this won't be the last time I pull this diff so I'm hoping that this makes the process easier.

Edited by Leon
Copy/paste from Google Photos doesn't seem to work...

• 1 month later...

Finally had a chance to degrease the diff, reseal every joint, and pop in the Kameari stubs. I torqued the pinion nut to 135 ft-lb per this nifty blog article: https://inzane240.blogspot.com/2014/01/updated-info-on-subie-r180-install.html. Planned install is this Saturday! I've also ordered W65 idle jets from Keith Franck so hoping to have this car fairly dialed in for a mountain drive on the following Saturday. :)

image.png.751e6feef94e44a589038ee905ba140e.png

image.png.2141a2724e4e0a9be8741dec371f0172.png

image.png.e2c357d6580b7dda2dc103d6f9f0764a.png

She's back on the road as of this past Saturday, as promised. :)  I forgot how much of a pain it is to do a job like this on the driveway, but it ended with a driving car and a diff that feels better than ever! No more clunking and... a bit less whining. It seems the poly mustache bar bushes transmit a lot of whine, as the front diff mount is still OEM.

image.png.e8a3281fc81322434f1a6a3329e70780.png

Somehow though, the exhaust ended up a lot closer to the diff than I recall. The lack of clearance is audible. I'm planning to drop the exhaust and grind down the diff case.

image.png.41e39d0e324404b5ba302d6b9d37ff99.png

Other than that, she needs new tires, fresh engine and gearbox oil, and Keith's W65 jets need install and tuning. Oh, and I found that the rear ARB was clashing with the left RLCA. Since both RLCAs are the same part number, just flipped LH/RH, there is less clearance for the ARB on the left vs right sides due to the flange being on the topside of the arm. This will need some massaging.

I'm afraid that by the time I'm "finished", the car will need another restoration. 😄