HybridZ

E-Rod LS3 vs. GM BW 5 speed transmission

I currently have a Chevy ZZ4 crate motor in my 1971 240Z mated to a GM Borg Warner T5 tranny that I've completely updated with G Force gears and mainshaft. I am using the stock GM bellhousing that came in 84-92 Camaros that used the 5 speed transmissions. That's the bellhousing that rotates the tranny about 15 degrees. I am contemplating going to one of the new E-Rod LS3 crate motors. I would still want to use this transmission because of it's size and ability to handle higher horsepower and torque, especially since it has been updated with all of the good G Force stuff. Is that doable with an LS motor? What components would I need to use this transmission with the LS motor? I'm pretty sure that this bellhousing won't just bolt up to an LS block, will it?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Start a membership on ls1tech.com. You will find a lot of answers (some more educated than others) there when it comes to the Ls platform and parts interchange. Remember at the end of the day this is a Datsun site and we mostly know Datsun stuff. For most of us, the Ls is new to us too!

Some aftermarket bellhousing maker has to make a bell housing for this.I have heard of the ford t5 being used behind a chevy with the correct bellhousing.Alot of people talk down about the t5 saying its not strong enough.If you shock load something hard enough you will break it-as in drag racing.I put a wc close ratio kit in a 88 mustang t5 trans and the owner was drag racing it.engine was a ford 302 built to 347 with a blower.The trans made 80 runs before a problem occured.upon teardown it was found that there wasnt a pilot bearing in the crank-owner malfunction.If I was building a Z to be used as a sports car I would be looking for a t5 first.Unless the car was being used on freeways daily at high speed (70+ mph) I wouldnt spend the money for a t56.

Thanks guys. I found out that the Gen III bellhousing will fit the LS block but the large flywheel, 168 tooth, that the LS uses won't fit inside the Camaro bellhousing, so I'd have to go with either a Lakewood scattershield or one of McLeod's modular bellhousings. That's if I wanted to keep my beefed up T-5, which I do.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ