HybridZ

How Many Threads / Conversations Started Like This?

Tony D

I love it when people like that come into my fathers place. Even better when they come in with a really rotten car and want you to fix a single item..... Car is rusted in half, burning tons of oil, over heating, they want you to change the points and put a new starter on that they grabbed out of a field.

My bro had a used engine in his Honda when it blew up...or more aptly seized. 

Had about 1.5 qts in it, doing 115 down the Lodge Freeway in Detroit.

Complained to me that the guy that put the brakes on the car the week before 'should have checked it out'...

He brought the brake pads and told the guy to install them because he didn't have a place to do it at the house.

I was not charitable with my brother for his ignorance.

I will work with these people occasionally, but I have a form for them to sign up front that says there is no warranty on parts or labour if they bring me the parts. If you want me to work on the car, and you want it fixed and me to warranty it to stay fixed for any length of time, do not bring me anything but the car.

I've had to start making my employer sign this form...

Let me tell you a story about a very expensive 670HP Porsche, and three Clutch swaps...

Guy (Me) walks into a Porsche specialty shop to discuss an upgrade to his clutch.  They say "Well you know, we don't want to insult you but our GOLD STANDARD clutch kit is rated at 500HP.  It'll be just fine for your car, we're sure!".

Three clutch swaps (at their expense) and a month later, the shop ate crow and the guy said, I shyte you not  "If you knew how many guys came in claiming beyond unrealistic numbers, you'd understand why we didn't believe you."

That knife is double edged.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I didn't think beetles made that much power. 

We had one over here, an Alfa came in wanting to change out his driveshaft rubber donut joint thing whatever. He bought his own, admitted to it being the cheap brand. Informed him that we can't warranty what you buy, and said it didn't look like the one we were going to get for it.... Told us to continue on. In that Alfa the transmission is in the back, the driveshaft spins with the flywheel. Get it installed, start her up, rattling like a bitch. Turn her off, peek under, tranny case is crumbling out from under the car. Can you tow your car off the property bro, it's greasing up the floor. Actually though, the owner completely understood and didn't argue or even get angry.

:violin:

Edited by josh817

I grew up working at a shop in my teens that was primarily a mustangs/ ford place... of which there are many in my hometown. We charged the most (by far) for labor and seldom gave people besides friends and long time clients a break on parts cost. The owner was very specific on why. "We charge more because we don't **** shit up." Also, I don't remember a single instance where we installed a part from somewhere else. Everything had installation error warranties and manufacturer's parts longevity warranties and the only people who ever left unhappy were just butthurt because we wouldnt install some junkyard part or ebay BS on their car. Flat out refused. To this day it's just about the only shop left of its kind from its time in the area and I think its in no small part due to that philosophy.

Thanks Tony, I slit my throat and wrists, doused myself in gasoline, lit myself on fire and jumped off a 1000ft cliff.

I get like 8 of those ass-hats every day 5 days a week.

Aggravating.

"Sure Ill put those parts on your car, no I dont guarantee anything with your supplied parts sorry, but Ill take your money!, and when it doesnt work I charge 90per hour for diagnosis"

The really good ones are the smog inspections, arg!

At least I bought the OBD Scanner and drove it for 300 miles watching it online before SMS'ing you! 

LOL

I'm kinda the opposite: Either fix it and I pay you once...or....ELSE!

And if I ask it's only because chances are I'm going to do it myself and depending on the story I get depends on wether I leave it because I don't want to be bothered and don't think I have the time.

Those Isolator Bolts on the 4.2 plenum was a good example. The service writer was telling me "We're booked, can't say we'll get it done" and I could HEAR the tech in the back going "I can do it, get it in here!" 

Kinda told me there was a "flat rate beater job" on my hands, and if I was smart probably could do it in the 'book time'---and I did, 5 hours start to finish, perfect OBD Scan results for the next 4,600 miles, and a scarily clean CA SMOG for initial registration.

Edited by Tony D