HybridZ

Hi everyone,

I've been having some issues with my door that I'm trying to fix but frankly I need some help with what I can actually do to fix it.

I made a video showing and telling the issues I have:

My hope was some folks on here could watch it and give me some guidance as to what exactly is wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks,

- Pac Man

The exterior door handle is broken.  Easy to see once you remove the 2 nuts holding it in and remove it.  The "arm" that moves the rod with the white plastic "nut" at the bottom is broken off.  Look at it closely, but to me it looks as if it's broken at the "pivot" so it's always going to be sloppy (not connected correctly) on that side of the handle.  That's what's making that handle look "wrong" when you lift it up.  Not that the left side comes out too far - the right side moves IN because of the broken pivot.  New handle time...

When the interior panel is back on the door the inside handle won't be caught under that metal piece anymore.  It will sit whre it's supposed to.  Not sure why it 's hard to pull though.

Your door handle is broken, as you thought, and it looks like the actuating rod has popped out of the hole it's supposed to sit in.  Remove those two nuts and the handle will come out from the outside.  There's a support piece on the inside and a gasket on the outside so remember where the pieces go and try not to tear the gasket, it might be painted on.  You'll probably be able to maneuver the rod out with the handle. The top end of the bent rod will push out of the plastic piece in the handle, it's a snap fit, don't try to remove the plastic piece with the rod in it.  Get another handle and you'll see what a good one looks like.  Install the new handle then install the actuating rod, I don't think the rod will go where it's supposed to go when the handle is unbroken so you can't reinstall it fromthe outside with the rod attached.  At least it wouldn't on my car.   Bolt the new handle on, set the white adjustable end of the rod in it's hole, then use some long pliers or really strong fingers, with some WD40 or something to push the rod back in to the upper plastic clip on the handle.  Then adjust the white nut up or down until you like the feel of how the door opens.  You might need to add some goop or tape afterward to hold it in place so it doesn't walk out of adjustment during use.

Good luck finding a handle, I think new ones are available out there somewhere.  I got mine at a wrecking yard.

Edit - writing while cg posted.  Two for broken...

Edited by NewZed

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

I got my new door handle from Black Dragon last night so I swapped it in today. Pretty straightforward, and now the door opens like new!

I also figured out why the interior handle is acting up. I noticed that the little loop that the handle's hook grabs onto is loose from the handle. After looking through my Haynes manual, it seems that you can slide the metal panel that the interior handle is bolted onto to adjust it. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't had the chance to try it but if I can slide it forward a bit, that should solve the issue.

The interior handle (the mechanism behind it, anyway) can indeed be adjusted forward or backwards by loosening the mounting bolts and sliding it. There's a long rod attached to a pivot (actually just a hook and a loop) on the other end of the handle which operates the latch... I suppose after time it either extends, or the mechanism slowly slides back from all the pulling. Sliding it forward (towards the front of the car) will tighten it back up and allow the lever to exert some more leverage and travel on the mechanism. 

Edited by thedarkie

I noticed that the little loop that the handle's hook grabs onto is loose from the handle.

The hook will come out fo the loop when the interior panel is off because the handle drops in to the door.  When the panel is on, the hook will probably stay in the loop, unless something has been bent or maladjusted along the way.  Put the little black pastic piece back on with the panel off and you might find that the hook stays where it should.

I checked out the interior handle today. You're right, with the panel in place the hook doesn't drop off, so I don't have to adjust it. Thanks for the heads up.

I've run into another issue though: putting the window regulator back in. I know the spring is there to counter the weight of the window (or something to that effect) but I'm not sure I put it in right. The only way I could get the spring to rest in what I think is the normal position (hook of the spring like  \|/ under the piece of metal that holds it) causes it to compress when i put the teeth back into the gear of the crank. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Well I'm having another issue (gasp).

I took off my bumpers today and decided to take off the front shock absorbers since they don't require removing anything else. I got the passenger side off, but the driver side is not wanting to go. I got the two front-most bolts off, but the one to the back behind the shock is not wanting to come off. I moved the airbox out of the way to get to it, but I still can't get it. Anyone have any advice?

Ok, that helps, but I'm just looking for someone/something to explicitly say that the spring should be exerting its force when the crank is being rolled in the lifting direction. I actually have the window in now and it seems to be going up and down fine, but I want to be sure before I reassemble everything.

• 5 years later...