HybridZ

Series II 3800/4l60e into 280zx

I know this is the section pertaining to sbc v8s but im swapping a series II 3800/4l60e trans into a Datsun 280zx. I have the drivetrain bolted into the chassis but i have a few general & 4l60e trans related questions.

1st for everyone w/the starter on the driver's side did you make custom battery, alt & starter cables?

2nd on the transmission tail there is a connector w/purple & yellow wires coming from it that run the gamet of the harness, im guessing it the VSS, unfortunatly in my harness these wires are missing. Does anyone know how to hook this up?

3rd does anyone have explaination on how they hooked the mechanical throttle cables up to the Z pedal?

4th i heard a rumor that ppl use a v8 torque convert to allow more stall in performance applications using the 4l60, does anyone jave any insight regarding this?

Skirkland1980- I used a pedal from a different car but you could just cut the top off the z pedal and weld on a different one. The torque converter thing refers to using a v6 converter behind a v8. Since v6s make less torque than a v8 the v6 converter will stall more when behind a v8.

What do you mean cut the top off the z pedal? Like graft 2 pedals together or modify the stock one? What torque converters are the v6 4l60 guys running?I would like something close to a 3k stall.

1st for everyone w/the starter on the driver's side did you make custom battery, alt & starter cables?

2nd on the transmission tail there is a connector w/purple & yellow wires coming from it that run the gamet of the harness, im guessing it the VSS, unfortunatly in my harness these wires are missing. Does anyone know how to hook this up?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not running the same thing as you are but I eliminated my stock solid linkage and went with a cable. I used a pedal from a different car and made it work using a welder and cut-off wheel.

With the 4L60E in 1995 gm started using a pulse with modulated torque converter lockup apply for a less noticeable tcc apply. This required the use of torque converter with a better lockup friction plate due to excessive head generated when the torque converter locks. There is a mod that I do which involves disconnecting the pwm tcc solenoid and also shifting the valve and staking it in place. This completely disables the pwm tcc apply, The torque converter will still lock but it will be firm and noticeable. With that said, whichever converter you use, make sure it's a 1995 or newer converter (if your tranny is) or do the mod. I don't know what converter to recommend other than an aftermarket one.

• 11 months later...