HybridZ

Another 9 Second LS1-Z

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is driving me crazy. 9 seconds on a LS with a cam? WOW. I know the trans is the reason but just wow. Here Was planning on a full built VQ9 with supercharger and was hoping for anywhere in the 10 seconds on my next Z. I guess i just need an LS and some spray. 

I just watched about 10 youtube videos of 500+ Rb swaps not getting near this mark. 

There really isn't any such thing as "just a cam."  While a cam may cost less than $400, you are looking at cam, springs, retainers, push rods and a tune, at the minimum, so you should budget more like $1,000.  Similar story with nitrous - an empty bottle costs a couple hundred, but  a system with all the controls is gonna be about another thousand.  Most of these guys also have done exhaust and intake work too, but don't admit it.  Look at the torque curves of most RB motors and even the stock LS motor-there is no comparison in terms of "area under the curve."  But nobody can argue with what RIPS can do with a Z-car, RB motor and an auto trans!  There is also a big difference between a 9.9 and a 9.0, while the difference between a 10.0 and a 9.9 is much less.  As drag racers, we like to round-down very liberally-you'll see me do the same thing from me as soon as I go 10.99999.  I'll call that a 10-second run all day long!

LOL rebekahsZ, I know. Just saying that I was planning to drop about $10k easy into my next engine alone. And even then I feel like this guy did much less and somehow pulled a faster time then I was expecting to get. But then again I am planning to go manual. There is no denying that an Auto will be faster on a drag track but I am insistent on going T-56 for my next build.   

Besides a cam springs, retainers, push rods, tune the most significant items are the cylinder heads, induction systems, exhaust system and where in the RPM power band most of the power is developed.  NASCAR operates their race engines with a floor of 4000 RPM all the way up to 9000 RPM.  That is the largest "Area Under the Curve".  All WEAK engine components are done away with. Still valve springs are the biggest failure offender.  The higher up the RPM range an engine is operated, the more expensive the engine components are that SURVIVE.  RIPS winds the engine up to high RPM in his Z-car.  That is where he is making his winning power.

Don't forget the LS based motors are running 12.5 to 15 degree heads, that is were the power is at. Old school 1rst gen blocks run 23 degree heads and and flow less unless some serious cash is spent.  I ran 10.80's on motor in my 240Z with a first gen small block but had 2000 in the heads and still they flowed like an out of box LS type head. You do some work on a set of LS heads and watch out, they can really haul the mail.

Donovan, don't be fooled.  This fellow must know his shtuff.  It takes effort to go that fast, and even more to do it over and over again without breaking.  In fact, while we sit at our computers bench racing his car, he's probably out figuring out how to make it even faster and more durable!  I imagine he's having fun reading our thread-jacking posts since he started this thread and hasn't looked back.

Hello all,

I've been gone for a while but finally back with some new pics and track times. Pretty much built the whole car based on info I got from this forum and couldnt be any happier with the performance to mod ratio.

Mods:

2002 LS1.

Cam-only.

Stock bottom end, stock heads.

100-shot (nozzle).

The rear-end is still the stock open diff, with the exception of an upgraded CV axle kit. Although I did do a 1.46 60ft on the stock u-joint half shafts, I felt the CV's would be more reliable.

Time slip:

60ft: 1.453

1/8 mi: 6.326 @ 110.02mph

1/4 mi: 9.944 @ 134.63mph

Hit the N20 about 20ft out, 4th pass of the day so next time i'll increase the bottle pressure and hope to not break an axle  :).

How I got the car a few years ago

DSC00632.jpg

Recent Pic

RecentZPic_zpse137e213.jpg

Video of pass, starts at the :50 mark:

Any comments questions and concerns are welcome.

Thanks!

Kevin,

I saw your car at coffee and cars last sat. It is looking good, glad you could represent the Z community. You should have parked by the 350 and 370Z section with all the Asian guys. :)

Are you sure you are not holding back on us regarding what's in that motor? I know you are close to some guys that work at Late Model Racecraft and everyone that knows LS motors knows that those guys are surgeons when it comes to extracting horsepower out of an LS motors. 

Hello again all,

Sorry for being MIA. Work/School/Projects have me going non-stop. Ill try to answer all the questions.

RWHP: I have never dynoed it but I am guessing around 380ish rwhp N/A and whatever a 100shot nozzle will add on top. Keep in mind it's going through a stalled auto and the small JCI short headers. My tuner just bench tuned my ecm for the 100 and it seems to work fine.

No secrets here, I always pop the hood at carshows and willing to talk to anyone about the build. The bottom-end is still bone stock as well as the original un-ported 241 heads. Of course I have upgraded the valvetrain to accomodate the bigger cam.

On another note, Does anyone have experience with this kit? https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/280z/complete-r200-r230-rear-end-conversion-z-car

If I plan on going any faster, this will have to be the next upgrade. My Chromoly CVs are nice but as one of the previous posters said, the Stub axles are the next to go.

We are all just jealous! Have you broken any axles yet? How many passes on this set? Found an on-line article on Chuck Anders and the S cam package. I'm gonna do the stub axles and axle breakage loops to the LCAs before I do the cam/nitrous so it may be next winter. 6.3 in the 1/8 is flat cookin'. What is your exhaust downstream of the JCI headers? I'm on JTR headers.

I have broken 2 Chromoly CV axles. I was basically trying to find out what the limits were so I could back off a bit from there. DO NOT try to spray out of the hole, I've found out that about 1 car length out is fine. I have some 2.5" bullet mufflers welded to the down pipes off the shorty headers, I use the same computer tune for both on and off the spray.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.