HybridZ

Transmission options? Currently TH350

Im up doing some research. I have a sbc in a 71. The transmission I have is just a plain 3spd that revs out to something like 4 grand at 60mph, which has left me with a toy rather than something enjoyable to drive anywhere.

Id like to be able to enjoy the car more often and on longer trips, but still be able to be spirited with it. I need overdrive at least!

Ive considered swapping in a manual, but thats a ton of work that honestly Id have no idea where to start. Id want to go with a 5spd so most of the old school options are out with that. Im not really looking at messing with a T5 either. So my options are pretty slim, or my knowledge is slim?

Id love to figure out that T56 option, but the total swap price tag might be killer. Those transmissions seem to fetch about a grand all by themselves, then I need to setup a proper clutch hydraulic system for it, and I have no idea if the driveshaft will work from my TH350.

My other options would be other automatics? 4L60E possibly? I know its computer controlled, but there are controllers available out there. There use to be a cheap one, but it appears its no longer available. There is always the old 700R4 which has a lock up converter.

Its worth mentioning that Id be after a used transmission. The TH350, 700R4, and the 4L60E all have weaknesses. Its hard to tell what I will find second hand, but I can bench build any of these transmissions.

So Im here looking to see what other options are out there or if Im looking at the right avenues for what I want out of the car.

thanks

Ray

I loved my 700r4, if you have a th350 with a longnose tailshaft (9") you can just swap trannys and keep the same driveshaft

You will need to give 12v to the lockup on the 700r4 and get a stall converter. If you want a nice dd get an 1800.

If youd like to get a few quick launches yet still be dd able get a 2600. Thats what I used.

I have a built 700r4 in my 240Z. For all the trash they talk about 700r4's I'll just say that mine has lived 7 plus years in my 240Z with no issues. If they are set up right they will live long in a light car, I run an Edge 9.5" racing converter with 3600 stall and have hundreds of passes at the track and more on the street. Use a good trans cooler, say a B&M, that's what I use and good fluids, flush every yr or two. Here's what mine can handle and I do it all the time.

i am running a TCI  700 r4  with converter.... using a large trans cooler ..running amsoil fluid ... i love this set up .. it shifts real hard ... first gear is ultra low for launching  2nd gear  is a bit lower than the th 350    3rd is the same as the th350  4th gets me 2200 rpm at low 70s mph .. perfect set up ... shifter is a billet B&M

my trans temp stays nice and low .. with amsoil fluid ..and the larger trans cooler ...

i am running a BIG  roller camed  small block with aluminum heads running close to 500 hp

100_0395.jpg

Edited by Dan H

If you decide to stick with an automatic, don't forget the 200-4R.  It's lighter and smaller than the 700-R4; and except for different trans mount location, is almost a plug-n-play replacement for your turbo 350.  Built correctly, the 200-4R can handle plenty of HP and torque.

Whichever you decide, all these can be found aplenty in boneyards....or you can buy from a vendor.  Bowtie is a highly regarded provider of performance trannys and transmission accessories. 

Good luck with your swap, be sure to post your results, and happy motoring!

I have been running the 200-4R and find it works well for the z.  It is the same length as a turbo 350 although the mounting point is slightly different.

First gear is not as low as a 700 which are designed for heavy vehicals the 200 first gear is better for the lighter z car closer to the 350.    The 200 overdrive ratio is lower so your rpms in fourth are lower when cruising. It also takes  20 less horsepower to run than the 700. The 200 where used in the grand nationals the fastest production car GM made, in those years  It can be built to handle 700Hp.    I think if you are drag racing the car with mucho horsepower i would go with the 700 but if you are under 500hp the 200 wil give you beter performance for driving around town.

Well I have a car that was built about 30 years ago(There are time slips in the car that predate my birth by 2 years! in Bakersfield ca). It has a short tail shaft TH350.

With all the updated parts out there for the 700R4 the old myths about them being junk that blows up is kinda just that, myths.

I never even thought about he 200-4R.

I currently have a tiny cooler, but I have a really nice BIG trans cooler and a temp gauge set aside for someday, but Im still seriously considering the T56.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered some taller gears in the diff? Whatcha got there now? If you go T56, expect more axle breakage. Also, I'm not in love with my second gear ratio in my 2006 GTO tranny: second gear lasts only a second. I wish the jump from first to second was a little farther. I'm just in and out of second in a flash. Maybe the ratio spread is better in the camaroT56. I would also suggest using an LT-1 T56 in order to get the hydraulics outside the dusty bellhousing. I think you just have to change the input shaft to an LS1 style input shaft. But, if you like dragging stay auto.

I have run both transmissions in my Z.  A built 700R4 and a T56.

The 700's are great transmissions!  If you are looking for a used one make sure you are getting one with the upgraded pump, which I believe is any after '88.  The early 700's are what gave them the bad name.  And I would run a cooler on ANY automatic, as heat is an automatics worst enemy.  If you like drag racing and just driving places, I would recommend running an R4 or the 4L60, which are vary similar.  If you are drag racing and running a shift kit better than a Stage I then I would recommend upgrading the sprag clutches.

Here is my .02 on the T56.  It is an overrated transmission, especially for the cost.  Like you said, it is like a grand just for the purchase, and then you will have to round up the components to swap it onto the engine.  In my case, it was almost another grand for the components; clutch/bell housing/pressure plate/flywheel/throwout/and bearings.  And with stock gears in the rear I can tell you that 6th gear is all but useless unless I am doing better than 70mph...  In hind sight, I think I would have been better off spending the money on a TKO-5speed.

Cheers

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I am swapping a 4L80E as we speak, I just did a test fit with my L76 motor and 4L80E last night.  I was really surprised at how much more room than I thought I did, guess that serves my right as I have not pulled it apart in 4 yrs.

The problem I'm currently having with my 700r4 right now is, I don't have enough room to move the tail of the tranny up and to the right enough to get a good driveline angle and eliminate my vibration. To fix it I have to either pull the tranny back out, for the 10th time, (not joking) and hammer a big enough dent, or cut out a section in the tunnel and weld in a piece to make room. I'm thinking about the cutting. I'll have to pull the passenger seat and carpet.....sigh..

having done this a few times , If it was my car Id suggest the 200r4 option, those guys with the turbo buicks have long ago worked out the bugs in the trans and properly built it easily handles 600 hp

http://www.transdepot.net/2004R-_c_10.html

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/200-4R.htm

the 4l80e is potentially stronger but much heavier larger and requires conversion to full manual control or a rather expensive electronic control harness and controler

Edited by grumpyvette