HybridZ

steam vent tube on LS1

Mine has a plug and is not connected to the radiator, is this OK, the info I came across goes all over the board. Some gurus say that is not OK, that it may create internal issues, some other gurus say that it is OK to plug.  Please advice. Thanks 

Edited by PLATA

It may not cause any real problems, but the steam vent lets the hot air pockets at the top of the heads. So blocking it off could possibly leave hot pockets at the top of the heads causing detonation. Will you ever see this in the real world? Maybe, maybe not. If you can I would try and splice it into the upper radiator hose or the radiator if yours has a spot for it.

-Will

The factory put then there for a reason and with all the debate I hooked up the vents. Cut the upper radiator hose and unsert a splice to tee in the vent. Seems to be what most do. This is like the heater line looped or blocked debate and I havent found more than speculation to answer that one either.

Edited by heavy85

• 4 months later...

I just got this T adapter >> post-36683-0-95342500-1372040066_thumb.jpg in order to reconnect the steam tube that is plug  back to the coolant system, It will be connected to the return heater hose . Much debate on this , so decided to play it safe :icon47:  

I just got this T adapter >> attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g488466.jpg in order to reconnect the steam tube that is plug  back to the coolant system, It will be connected to the return heater hose . Much debate on this , so decided to play it safe :icon47:  

I connected mine on the return line to the radiator as shown in the picture below.

post-1734-0-27018400-1372044383_thumb.jpg

Here is my setup >>>>>  post-36683-0-06111600-1372356704_thumb.jpg  :icon12:   I connected the vent tube from the block to the heater return hose to the  water pump, the tube that is inside the intake is bypassed , from what I have read this is OK  :icon5:

Edited by PLATA