HybridZ

Crossroads of my project

Dudeboy

It has been a while since I posted, but I log in just see what is going on the Z world. But, I am at a crossroads with my 6-7 year Z project.  I am debating having a hot-rod shop finish the Z, and do a once over and trouble shoot anything that comes up on the first start up and drive.  Additionally, to have the bodywork competed and painted. The background information; I just completed my MBA graduate coursework, in 3 weeks I will be starting Six Sigma certification classes, career change, teenagers with extracurricular activities and my counseling/mentoring activities – I am just not finding the time !!! I tell myself I will get to this or that on the Z this weekend, but the weekend come and go and nothing is done. So, what remains: Buy battery and tires, install seats, zg flares, add transmission fluid, coolant, tighten every nut and bolt, trouble shoot any electric gremlins and bodywork/paint. It is small stuff, but stuff I have not got to!! Most quit and sale the project at this point, but selling the Z is not option. Too much knuckle blood, sweat and dreams of the first drive is why I will never sale it.  What would you do?

What to do, depends entirely on whether completion of the car is precluded merely by lack of time, or if it's also a lack of confidence/resources/skills.  If after sweating for 6-7 years you worry about messing up some minor engine-detail and blowing up a $5K motor, then it's probably better to contract-out the final touches to a pro.  But the great impediment is just lack of time, then it's probably best to leave the project unattended and not take recourse to an outside shop.  The shop's work, even if competent and of good value, would detract from your achievement-value in building the car entirely yourself.  And what if the shop performs some service at inferior quality?  What happens if your labors are sullied by the inattentive or indifferent labors of others?

The general advice seems to be: when in doubt, do nothing.  Just wait and see.  Nothing is truly irreversible; all actions, including non-action, have an opportunity-cost.  But non-action seems to be more reversible than any other alternative.

Good evening,

Michael it is lack of time only, I can see my weekends drifting away.  What's happening Mike ! I had a pattern of  7-9 hour days on the weekend working on the Z, but I had not considered to just go to garage do what I can as time permits. Also, the few shops that do decent hot-rod work are busy. There is a good chance my car would be sitting in a shop's garage and I am not going down that path. Ironically, I cancelled participation in a conference this weekend, and I will be working on the Z !

It's a shame you don't have a z fanatic close by thats looking to make a few bucks working on a z.

That's my MAD money right now. I know I'm not making much on the hourly rate, but can't think of a better way to make some cash for my car.

I'm lucky to get 7-10 hours a week on the car, but it enough if I plan well.

Like said above, if all else, let it sit until you get that education .

Thank you to everyone. I am being a bit selfish and just heading to the garage to get things done. Will be buying tires, batteries and start on flares..I watch a car show, and a recurring theme that is not part of the show is that the guys restoring cars pass away before they can finish them. I have found motivation.