HybridZ

Anyone buy paint off ebay?

Rusty Bomb

So I was thinking about repainting some stuff and decided to just try ebay.  some stuff popped up but with brands I did not know and some I did.  Prices seem reasonable.

But over all I am asking if anyone ever bought paint off ebay?  If so how would you rate it? things to look for and things to avoid?

I'm looking into base coat clear coat, and some urethane sealer.

Possibly irrelevant: Dont buy paint from California.  In most counties all solvent based paint has been banned and as a result we are forced to use water based paints.  They dont dry as evenly as regular solvent based paint (resulting in orange peel), require special guns, dryers,  and modifying your paint technique.  Actual paint shops have of course adapted but for the hobbyist who paints once in a while its quite a bit to overcome.

We use water-based paints in Europe.  It's much harder to shoot.  It seems the more lethal the paint with respect to VOCs, the easier it is to shoot.  Sherwin Williams is actually one of the cheaper automotive paints and you can get good results.  PPG tends to be better.  I think it's more a matter of personal preference and what you're used to shooting.  There is far more to painting a car than the top coat.  Preparation is key.  Also, I'd recommending renting a cross flow spray booth.   Very reasonable and you'll get great results.

We did my rx7 with single stage enamel white. I forget what primer , but also from ebay. paint4cars was the seller . Sprayed outside with a matco spray gun and harborfreight air compressor.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/376810_10150953491258557_2135060316_n.jpg

looked alot better than what it used to

http://oi44.tinypic.com/208xph2.jpg

We use water-based paints in Europe.  It's much harder to shoot.  It seems the more lethal the paint with respect to VOCs, the easier it is to shoot.  Sherwin Williams is actually one of the cheaper automotive paints and you can get good results.  PPG tends to be better.  I think it's more a matter of personal preference and what you're used to shooting.  There is far more to painting a car than the top coat.  Preparation is key.  Also, I'd recommending renting a cross flow spray booth.   Very reasonable and you'll get great results.

More than ease of shooting, the old solvent based cross-linked polyurethane was nearly indestructible! Some stuff I painted. In the 80's still looks like new, no chalking, no flaking, like the day it was shot!