HybridZ

What kind of Paint? Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane for repainting a Z?

Jochen

Hey Guys,

Just a short question as I remind in my Head a Sticker in the Engine Bay what said something from an Enamel Color (Competition Orange)

If I would like to repaint a Z, what works better as a single Stage Paint, Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane Paint?

My hope was just to grind/machine the original paint all around a bit, paint the car and polish the paint for a clean and glossy look.

Any suggestions what to use and maybe a nice Webshop or Shop in Orange County?

Hi and thanks for your answer.

And the 2 Stage Urethane makes no Problems on the old original Paint?

Is 2 Stage Urethane also a "Thermophene Paint" / TPA?

I would like to buy Thermophene Paint as I heared few times that it is more easy to use for a "garage painting"

Does this fits also for the 2-Stage you speak from?

I found this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunmetal-Grey-Metallic-Prem-Gallon-Kit-Low-VOC-URETHANE-BASECOAT-Auto-Paint-Kit-/390538583069?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item5aede9dc1d

That should be what you suggested to me.

There is also a "quart kit" available. How much paint is needed for a full painting of a Z and does somebodyhas a suggestion for me what needlesize would work with this paint?

Sorry for maybe stupid questions :wink:

Edited by Jochen

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, me again.

As this point is still open I would like to ask again, what kind of paint I can use to paint above the original Enamel paint.

In germany we call the original paint "thermo paint" and the paint systems we use here are not working on enamel. Till one year there comes out cracks as the paints doesn't work together.

So just to be shure I would like to ask you guys if I buy the so called Restoration Enamail Paint Kit, can I put this without problems on the original paint of a 240-280z?

Thanks.