HybridZ

What would you pay? (Craigslist, Central Florida)

Vneck

I live in Florida and the Z pickings seem extremely limited (been looking for over a year daily--my account is that old at least)... Anyways, this just popped up, thinking about offering $3.6k; looking to make into a daily driver.

[link removed, seller said he was getting spammed with scams...]

Thanks!

Edited by Vneck

If the pickins are slim, you don't have many options and you can't be too picky. Its worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. The guy says he's testing the waters... personally I wouldn't take $3.6k for a car I listed at 5, but whatever.

I'd pay 4-5k for that and toss another 3-4 into cleaning it up. If it doesn't have rust (the pics look good) it's a good buy regardless. Someone looking for a clean project would easily pay $5k for that.  

IMO, red flags///// smoker, needs brake booster, bad cabin fan ,no tags,no battery///////// but they are getting hard to find, go grab it for 4+Large in crispy 20$ bills or an overseas buyer will snatch this Z   :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

^ thats the thing about old cars... those things you listed just aren't THAT important any more

If the body is good and the hard bits are where they're supposed to be, its a good purchase. I think 4-5k is completely reasonable for a Z with a good body and not requiring MAJOR service to be a driver. Chances are if you fix it up nice and keep it long enough, you won't lose a penny.

I wouldn't pay anymore than about 4K for it, even though I know other people would. It needs a lot of work, and some of the things I see in the pictures makes me wonder what else is going on, like the screws through the bottom of the door panels, new doors (or at the very least weld up the holes and repair), new door panels. The paint was done poorly, since it's flaking off on many areas of the car. Some of the things mentioned it needs can get pricey, or at the very least time consuming to replace.

Looks like a great start, but that's what it is, a start, not a driver yet.

^ thats the thing about old cars... those things you listed just aren't THAT important any more

If the body is good and the hard bits are where they're supposed to be, its a good purchase. I think 4-5k is completely reasonable for a Z with a good body and not requiring MAJOR service to be a driver. Chances are if you fix it up nice and keep it long enough, you won't lose a penny.

This bodes well for me...

I spent about six months looking got mine delivered from Deland to Hunters creek for 2,400. Has normal rust and an oil leak (was an auto tragic) needed an new water pump. Currently replacing all the engine gaskets. So for a stick you'll pay more, but a lot of people were asking 3K for non running on blocks because they had a stick. I found a great deal, but this one seems like It's pretty decent as well. Just my .02.

If youre not happy with selection in florida look elsewhere. I went to Cali to get mine...long way to go for a Datsun, but $800 shipping was a lot easier than cutting out rust and welding in new metal...

This one doesnt seem bad, always expect it to be worse than represented, but its worth a look.

If youre not happy with selection in florida look elsewhere. I went to Cali to get mine...long way to go for a Datsun, but $800 shipping was a lot easier than cutting out rust and welding in new metal...

This one doesnt seem bad, always expect it to be worse than represented, but its worth a look.

This is the best option, the transport fee is way less than rot repair  :icon12:

Seller told me he's no longer selling because of spammers and scammers... Gonna edit out the link and keep looking I guess... If anyone has one in the area feel free to msg me. Thanks

I most likely will end up doing something like this, I just don't like buying a car I havent seen at all-- and the upfront money I have would take a cut, I'd be using upfront savings and then a pizza delivery (big stuff) salary to fund repairs/resto/mods over time. I didn't really want to but it might be the best way at this point.

Edited by Vneck

I drove across an international border to buy my Z, sight unseen. I talked with the seller over the phone and he provided enough details and photos that I was confident about what I was purchasing. Then again, mine was a restored Z that had been on a rotisserie already so its a tad different from buying an original car.

Of course, if there had been any serious flaws upon my arrival I would've turned back to go home and simply swallowed the cost of the trip... but if you're having a car shipped to you, you're kinda SOL if you don't like what comes on the trailer. 

However, regarding your particular situation, it doesn't exactly sound like an old project car is a financially sound decision. If you deliver pizzas for a living you probably shouldn't be buying a 40 year-old Datsun to fart around in. Whatever you think its gonna cost, double it. 

I've been looking for a cheap 240z for here for a while now as well. I did see that post (I think). Honestly, since I came from cali, and I know what I can get in Cali, and I make the drive from cali like 4 times a year, I will probbaly end up buying a Z out there for much cheaper with a rust free body.

post-36683-0-36122300-1361408876_thumb.jpg^^^^^^ Ebaymart, is the way to go, good luck on the hunt ,over a year ago  I bought a very nice 72 Cali , complete refreshed and rot free , a Zweet deal . I miss that Orange Z, well my new to me silver Cali "FrankeinZvettestain'' is sexier :icon12:  

Edited by PLATA

That orange Z is gorgeous. Might end up having to get one shipped against my judgement ^^

I've been looking for a cheap 240z for here for a while now as well. I did see that post (I think). Honestly, since I came from cali, and I know what I can get in Cali, and I make the drive from cali like 4 times a year, I will probbaly end up buying a Z out there for much cheaper with a rust free body.

Car buying in general in FLorida seems to be a joke.