HybridZ

First start 280z Turbo on MS2

Randall

I feel like an idiot...

I was so frustrated last night and almost burned up my starter in the process.

So I gave it a rest.

This morning i cleaned up the distributor again and reset all of the air gaps. Set the motor to tdc, set plug wires back to stock. put in 0 degree offset in ms turned the key and it started right up and ran smooth.

Then i just turned the distributor slightly to get the correct advance as my fixed timing was set to in megasquirt.

Here is a video:

Only problem left is i am getting different readings for my AFR in Megasquirt when compared to the LC-1 Gauge.

All grounds are at the same place for both megasquirt, LC-1, and gauges.

Edited by Randall

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by LC-1 readings? The gauge?

Because LC-1 goes to both the MS and Innovative Gauge.

The gauge seems more accurate because when it is idling at its best the gauge shows around 13-14 and MS is showing like 10 or something ridiculously rich.

Yeah that is what I meant. Timing was fixed to 0 in the table and trigger offset was set to 60 then I turned the distributor until I saw 0 while cranking.

It was late last night so I have not verified timing while it was idling

Thats how you do it. Like the other guy said though, make sure you check it agin for accurate timing and make sure when you are running it with an actual ignition table that it reads what it says its supposed to be.

Yeah I've done everything calibrated ms for LC-1 all grounds for ms and lc1 go directly to the battery. LC-1 has 2 outputs one for their gauge and one for ms. I think the controller is possibly messed up cause I've gone through the wiring with a multimeter to check all connections.

Well figured it out the LC-1 comes with 2 analog outs that are both pre loaded one is a narrowband voltage and the other is a wideband. So the gauge was seeing the wideband voltage and MS was seeing the narrowband but expecting wideband voltages. These outputs are programmable so i just set them both to wideband and everything is now good.

Now onto the cars first datalog while driving. Still breaking it in so i did not go over 3000 rpm just kept varying the load around the neighborhood. 

I kept getting some random lean spikes using cygnus' maps with the advance locked at 20 (still not sure the timing setup is perfect so i just locked it at 20 for the first drive).

Let me know what you think.

2013-02-23_01.23.19.rar

Got the timing stabilized by switching the input capture and it only runs with an offset between 0-10 offset. 45 works too but anything higher wont start.

Now I'm getting random lean spikes all over the place with no rhyme or reason. I believe they are misfires dont know why it is cutting out

They are brand new bpr7es I believe whatever everyone recommends on here. I left them gapped at .35 which is what they came with. They look fine just a little rich. Motor seems to be breaking in fine with 19 to 20 inch of vacuum at idle and 23-24 on decell

Right now I have the VR line to mega squirt ran the way the original lines were which means it runs next to the coil and next to the alternator

Would it be better to run it up along with the injector lines or will the injectors be even noisier?

Here are some datalogs...

First one get into third gear and floor it and let off when it it hits lean. Then i do the same in fourth.

Next map is the same except i increased req_fuel just to see if it was a misfire or running lean.

I can see in the second datalog that the req_fuel did help my afr's

Also i have my wastegate tied open so the car is not seeing boost.

DataLogs.rar

Edited by Randall

Here they are in a .zip format... I think the problem is the stock FPR im seeing about 20 psi at idle and when i blip the throttle sometimes it will actually drop. Going to get some hose so i can relocate my Fuel pressure gauge so that i can see it while driving. The pump is a new Walbro 255 with a 40 micron pre filter and 10 micron post. So its not dirt and i dont believe to be a bad pump although this pump does have a pretty loud wine to it. I tried adding fuel where it leans out with almost no improvement so that only leads me to believe that im not seeing good fuel pressure.

DataLogs.zip

Edited by Randall