HybridZ

oil smoke from exhaust

Hey all my 83 turbo don't smoke or use oil unless i set for more than 5 min's at idle. then the first rev i give it makes a big puff of oil smoke from the tail. Rev it again and ta-da! no smoke. I think my turbo might be leaking oil slightly or im blowing oil from the block. I have good compression and a oil catch can which is half full of milky oil every 3 months i was thinking my oil separator screen in the block might be stopped up or something. what do you guys think anyone have this problem? mine did not used to smoke at all just started few months ago.

• 1 month later...

this is fairly common, the first step is trying to determine the source of the oil in the combustion chambers,
obviously the potential sources are
 a leaking intake gasket sucking oil from the lifter gallery
worn valve guides and or valve seals
or bad or worn rings
or detonation damage on the pistons
a leak down test will help locate the source.
Id also suggest you post clear pictures of your spark plugs and verify your ignition advance curve."

btw a quick check that will help but not 100% prove or can be used to find out if the rings or valve train is the source of the oil, is have a buddy follow your car and accelerate hard with the throttle wide open,then let the engine slow you down by jumping off the gas, if its rings it tends to smoke more on hard acceleration when theres more cylinder pressure, if it smokes more on DE-acceleration as the engine slows the car its frequently high vacuum sucking oil thru the valve guides[/color]

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=332&p=14272&hilit=leakdown#p14272

Edited by grumpyvette