HybridZ

bought this 1982 280zx with Kaminari Wide Body kit...

Xerxixez

Bought this car recently... was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to replace or fix the Kaminari Wide Body Kit thats on it... kinda new to body work... but i can do mechanics great... never heard of Kaminari till i bought this car... so i have no idea what its even worth... if anyone can help me out that would be great...!!!! I love this car... not my first 280 nor my first datsun... but first car ever with a body kit lol... would love to be able to restore this beauty....

post-36971-0-67096600-1361325079_thumb.jpg

I cant seem to figure out how to post another pic so... i changed my profile pic... it has body damage on the door that needs to be fixed and the body kit is starting to separate from the body on the rear quarter panels that's bout it so not too bad...

and yea it is a 2+2 but i have kids and a wife so i have to have a backseat... so its perfect for me lol... i love this car it runs amazing for being all original mechanically at least... i intend on completely restoring it... im not sure if i wanna rebuild original motor or put a vh in it yet... ive always wanted a 280 with a vh in it... but that sucks i cant find another body kit for it... guess i have to just fix what i got...

Just make an account on Photobucket and upload the pictures and use this copy it and paste in the reply box.

If you want it to go fast you can always do a L28ET swap or just turbocharge the stock L28 just needs all the turbo parts from the turbo engine, ECU and harness.  Its fun and still pretty fast.

Edited by 280zx@541

Well that would be a decent idea but turbo u got what 185hp im looking for closer to around 250 Ta 300 hp is that even economically affordable to get out of a L28 and can the internals hold up to a turbo on it

You could easily make those numbers, there is more than enough info here just use the search feature all this has been done before plenty of times since NA to turbo is pretty common for those who can't find a L28ET depending on the year of your Z L28's have a higher compression I wouldn't go more than 10-13 psi.  You would just be surprised in power my L28ET swapped 280zx easily blow an 07 mustang gt doors off with less power and mine is mostly stock.

Here's something you should read:  http://xenons130.com/l28et.html

Edited by 280zx@541

Well awesome I have never messed with turbos before and I've heard it can be complicated but if it's possible to get that kind of power out of the L28 then I need to look into that I just know most of the time its not a good idea to turbo a n\a motor or u risk the possibility of blown it had a buddy who did it and blew the motor in around 200 miles I just don't want that to happen I mean I'll prolly rebuild it before I turbo it ... Does anyone know the rule of thumb of what it cost to rebuild and turbo one??

Nice score, I picked mine up two years ago.  I have yet to finish the body and paint, but yours looks pretty good.  Read every thing you can on attaching fiberglass to steel before you try to tackle the quarter panel.  The Kaminari kit for the 280zx is impossible to find, but reproduction IMSA kits are available.  CAUTION: No part of the IMSA kit lines up with the Kaminari stuff.  The IMSA kit does not flow onto the door the way the Kaminari does so repairing your door is a must.  As far as the performance of the engine and drivetrain it can all be found by SEARCHing this site.  And Please Please use some punctuation, I know you are new but it IS in the rules.  Welcome to Hybridz!

• 9 months later...

Kaminari kits were very expensive back in it's day, about 1983...I know because I had a 78 280z and bought the front air dam and rear tail, which I had moulded in and came out super!! just for thought, the front airdam back then I paid 250.00 and that was a wholesale price. same for the tail. I believe if Im not mistaken that the whole kit with the wide body panels and front and back spoilers ran about 3k. not installed...that was a whole other issue...these kits no longer are made...hope this info helps...Rob