HybridZ

New build and New here

Hey guys I have always been wanting a project 240z car and finally I have it.  I am going to throw a SBC in it and some coilovers and so on and take it on the track/street.  I have spent a good amount of time searching other threads on here reading about the V8 Swap and I finally felt that I should introduce myself and ask a few questions.  

I am trying to keep this project fun (It's a father son project. I am the son) and simple but at the same time I am not one to cut corners...but I love to save money and time if I can.  Anyway, the V8 SBC is the only thing I have decided on; since I have time yet till starting the project.  I would like to hear from some of you guys what setup you have after the SBC.  Something that will handle the SBC yet be easy to match up.  I see the most popular are the 88-92 T5 tranny  and the R200 rear-end. To state the obvious, I want to install my engine/tranny/driveshaft/rear-end and not worry about wear and tear for a long time, while keeping it simple and saving money. Sooo...... 

What I lack in knowledge is this:

1) What is the easiest match-up (engine to tranny to driveshaft to rear-end) that will handle the SBC that you know of?

2) Is keeping the stock rear-end even an option for this track car project?

3) After the rear end to tranny have been decided on what's the best way to go about matching-up the driveshaft? 

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum guys.  Interested in the feedback.

Ryan

Really depends on your budget and wishes.  Recommend the following as a beginning:

First scoop up Ebay item number 251234103118, VERY SOON, which is a R200 Mustache bar and is necessary to mount a R200 diff!  Then purchase a R200 Ebay item number 221193350183 R200 differential VERY SOON!  Then look for a Chev Camaro T5 transmission and then a '96 to '99 GM Vortec 5.7 liter (350 cu in) complete.  I first modified the suspension struts to accomodate much better shocks and adjustable coil over springs.  Then purchased CV half shaft for a Nissan 300ZX turbo.  Then installed R200 plus CV half shafts along with 280Z driveshaft to mate with original trans and engine.

Absorb this and ask for more.

Does anyone know of any links where someone documented their whole V8 conversion with pictures and descriptions?

I think i documented a good bit of it with lots of pictures in page 3. However I used a WC T5 out of a mustang since it is much easier to find. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/102903-my-240z-is-almost-done/page-3

best money you can spend buy a copy of Jags that can run Datsun Z V-8 conversion manuel by Mike Knell it will save thousand in hours and money

That is the first thing you should be buying for the swap.  Available virtually anywhere and at http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

It will provide the base from which you can begin and then use this site to hopefully answer the questions the JTR book doesn't.

Davy

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the father son build and welcome to this forum. As everyone said there is a wealth of info on this site.

I built my 72, but went the fast and easy route. I ordered my zz4 crate motor and Hughes street strip 700r4.

Now, I have tweaked the motor a bit and added laughing gas. But I have been on my stock r180 for the last 4 years. I have an r200 writing to go in but the 180 is still fighting.

I daily my z and occasionally, once a month, take her to the strip on drag radials. She is a mid 11 second car in motor, but no clean passes on the laughing gas.

Next up us suspension work. And beginning my daughter/father build on a 78 280 we found.

Good luck and have fun with your dad.

Great link, thanks so much for that.  One more question:

Is there a specific T5 tranny from certain cars that will bolt right up to a SBC or do all T5's bolt to SBC's?  Sorry if thats an ignorant question.

Ryan

best money you can spend buy a copy of Jags that can run Datsun Z V-8 conversion manuel by Mike Knell it will save thousand in hours and money

The JTR manual explains the differences between world class V8, non world class V8 and V6 T5's.  It also explains different bell housing options.  I found this site ( http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm) very useful when a it came to determining which T5 I was dealing with prior to purchase.  

I used the Stealth Conversions (http://www.stealthconversions.com/Pages/Parts_DAT200.html) V8 conversion kit.  It's inexpensive and pretty much fool proof.