HybridZ

Engine done and in....Totally need LSD now :-)

wesmc

71 240z, L28 block clearanced for valves, port'n'polish head, 280z valves, flat tops, SK carbs, conservative race/aggressive street cam.  Stock 4 speed for the time being, plan to go 5-speed after recovering from the $$ spent so far.  Motor turns very strong but now the one wheel squeal is unbearable.

Reading and reading tells me go with the subie 180lsd and get Johnc's side axles.

Car is at 2200lb, less than 210rwhp, and is road race only, will never drag race.

Am I on the right track?

Its just a much better design overall.  10 clutches on each side, progressive lock timing, up to 100% lock, and a very smooth, progressive lockup.  I did a little bit of crewing with a World Challenge Viper team in 2008 during a test at WSIR where they swapped out diffs.  The wheel speed traces for the OS Giken were like a smooth hourglass compared to the stepped traces from two other CLSDs.   The driver felt the OSG was much easier to drive and his laps times were better.

I also had a customer who won the Solo2 FP national championship (finally beating John Thomas) in a E38 BMW.  A huge part of his time improvements was the OSG Super Lock and some very specific tuning OSG did.  He was getting a slight push from the thrid cone on during a slalom.  OSG detemined that the flat clutch plates were locking a bit harder then they should because the gear oil was pumped out by the throttle on-off-on-off-on during his slalom runs.

OSG came down to my shop and showed me how to install a set of their TCD plates which have small oil grooves.  This solved the problem.  Pics are here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.464901636670.254755.143989191670&type=3

Full disclosure:  I sell the whole OSG product line.

• Like 1

Hey John... It seems like we've burned up our subie diff... Whats the best way to rebuild or shim the thing to get it back into spec?

Sorry for the thread hijack... at least its on the same topic. 

Its a regular CLSD (I assume) so most diff shops can rebuild it.  Parts are available from Subaru.  Then add a diff cooler and change the fluid regularly.