HybridZ

l28ET z31 ecu/maf problems...Car wont idle/run

I do have an 84 turbo and i do have an extra MAF . Don't know if they are the same .

Yes they should be the same.  Im hopefully getting a spare maf this week but if you get some extra time and its not too much trouble I would appreciate some of those resistance readings

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok . I'll do it when i get to the shop tomorrow . It would be better if you do your testing at the ECM side , this will tell you if you wiring problem .

Thanks that would be great.  Like i said in my earlier post, I tested at the maf and then did the same tests at the ECU connector of the same circuits and got the same numbers so it cancelled out the wiring being bad.

Edited by SDgoods

Well I did some more testing..

its not the ECU as I tried an 86 turbo... Its flashing a CAS code but Im wondering if this is from a different car.

The Crank angle sensor is getting + voltage and with nothing interfering the light/reciever it puts out around 5 volts on the signal wire.  With the sensor interfering it drops down to basically nothing (This indicates a good CAS, that is of course if the 5 volt signal is correct)

Also with the CAS by moving the degree wheel through and out of the sensor i hear an injector or two clicking as well as the coil firing

I got some resistance values of the MAF by just ohming out some of the different pins and recorded the readings and then got the same readings at the ECU connectors which cancels out my wiring. 

This is leading me to believe the MAF itself  is the problem.   Am i missing anything here people?

And anyone with a working z31 maf, would you mind getting resistance values of pins:

A-B   I got .58 k-Ohms( 580 Ohms)   

A-C   I got .51 K-Ohms (510 Ohms)

A-E-  OL

A-F   9.88 Ohms

B-C - 73.8 Ohms

Thanks guys

Here is the result . Everything is about the same except for A-E , i got 1.373 k ohm . Test was done at 50 deg . amb. temp.

Very frustrated at this point.  Still not running.  With the new MAF it started to idle (while missing quite bad).  I thought maybe the ecu didn't want to output correctly as iit also had a fuel pump circuit code so I ended up wiring the FPR through the ECU like the stock setup but it wouldn't run either and the FPR would buzz off its ass. 

Undid the wiring and now it fires up for literally a second or less and pretty much immidiately dies. 

Still getting a crank sensor circuit code but I dont understand why as everything has continuity.

The only other thing I can think of is the lack of wire shielding in a couple very small portions of wire on the MAF and CAS circuits.  My previous setup ran fine even with rigged connectors for the CAS.

Can anyone who has DONE THIS SWAP please chime in.  Really not sure where to look next

Undid the wiring and now it fires up for literally a second or less and pretty much immidiately dies. 

This is what the 280Z's do when the fuel pump is only running on the Start circuit.  Enough fuel pressure to start, then dies when the key is released and the fuel pump turns off.  Are you measuring fuel pressure while starting?  The buzzing relay could be a sign of a pump power/pressure problem.

When things don't make sense a checklist is one way to find the cause(s) of the problem.  Verify fuel supply, power to various components, signals generated are getting to where they need to go, etc.  Sometimes fixing one problem creates another.  Running through the checklist after every attempted fix verifies that nothing was lost or changed by the fix.  Most people experienced in working with engines have a mental checklist they run through.

The OP is looking for a simple answer from someone who has had the same problem.  It doesn't look like anyone has the answer so he'll have to start measuring and verifying that the system has what it needs to make the engine run correctly.  The thread so far is a series of random guesses.  My post #47 was one of them.

I have several years experience working on cars as well as formal training and. Thats why im frustrated it doesnt usually take me this long to figure out. It has fuel/fuel pressure. It has spark, it has air. I believe the ecu is getting a bad signal. I now have a known good maf. Considering the ecu is now showIng a CAS circuit malfunction, i will re test it one more time and probably grab a sensor regardless. This has been frustrating because all of this supposedly came off a running car. So i had to learn it was bad the hard way.

• 6 months later...