HybridZ

Engine swap cost?

Guest Shiin

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am was looking for a 240z to do and engine swap with . Well needless to say I was trying to find out about the cost of what you would roughly pay to do a engine swap with a 6 cylinder. I have 7M-GTE turbo engine with a 5 speed and I was wondering how much does the whole project cost to change engines to a turbo charge type. I am about to purchase a 240z, and the engine needs to be replaced. So I wanted get rough estimates about what the engine swap project cost and what you needed to do when upgrading engines. Please provide any help possible because this forum is the only one I found that does engine swaps on a Z with more than just a V8. Also wondering if anyone know if it is possible to make a 4 cylinder turbo Z? Just asking. Anyways thanks for any help anyone can provide. icon_biggrin.gif

you can put anything you want into a z, im always screaming v8 is the best, for cost wise to performance (hp to $) i also am a big fan of the multi caburated japanese engings, i just drove my boys 71 corolla with twin sidedrafts, and that little thing will hit the tightest doughnuts known to man.

the v8 is very well documented, which adds to cheapness, everything is mapped out for you from start to finish, and once you have your template swap finished, you can get real jiggy with it. my second favorite is the gnx swap, which makes awesome power, and its turbo, just might be my next drivetrain, its the bomb, with BOOST. it all depends all your skills and mouthpiece manipulative capacity (read G A M E).

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on doing this swap - ended up getting an LS1 instead.

I'd guess the 7M swap would be easier than the LS1.

As far as costs, you'll need all the stuff for the engine. That can add up fast. Little things. If you already have absolutely everything that the engine and trans need to function, then you're that much ahead. You'll need to fab some mount plates to line up the Supra mounts with the Datsun mount towers. If you're not adapt at this yourself, you can use some wood. Get everything lined up, holes drilled, etc. then take the wooden pieces to a machine shop and have them made out of metal. Maybe $100. You'll also need a trans mount. That might be a bit harder. At best, you could adapt the datsun member to the toyo trans mount. At worst you'd be looking at a few hundred to have someone come up with something for you.

Driveshaft shortening/adaptation is usual around $200. I'd upgrade the radiator - $200 max (Griffin). Taurus fan and relay $60. Hoses - $30. Fuel pump and slosh tank and regulator and lines - $200 or so. I/C plumbing - $40-200.

Ought to add another $500 just to absorb surprises.