HybridZ

runs like crap - bad controller? bad coilpak?

AZGhost623

I know this electromotive forum is a bit dead, I hope someone can chime in who has experience with this, on a side note, I have posted over on the electromotive forum too hoping for some help. Here's the skinny.... Car sat for two weeks while we finished other things up after we had a successful start. Car now runs like its missing on cylinders or not even firing. We checked spark and spark is very poor, despite the battery showing 12.8 volts. When ignition comes on, XDI status light immediately goes to red despite the dipswitch 1 being up to indicate an even fire setup. We checked and cleaned all ground wiring and replaced spark plugs. We tried different gap settings too. Cylinder #4 spark plug is completely wet like its not even firing. Spark out of the plugs is very low or non existant, and fizzles at times. Ive seen lawnmowers with better spark. Hard part is outside of the manual, Im not sure how to troubleshoot or what to look for.

XDI showing red (odd fire) even with dipswitch 1 in up position (even fire):

running poorly:

As far as Im told... Nothing has been changed at my father in laws shop. It was started a few times to show customers and everything worked up until earlier this week after the exhaust was put on. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful. Car has not been on the road at all yet.
Edited by AZGhost623

So just incase anyone else comes across this, after talking to Electromotive this morning and checking a few more things, turns out the initial red light means a hardware fault. Should go green on ignition, not flicker red or be a solid red light. RMA'ing unit. Im told these are pretty indestructable, but on occasion a few right out of the box do fail from time to time. So thats probably what happened here.

Edited by AZGhost623