HybridZ

Wideband set up for electrical retard

Just did some reading.  I have a MSA downpipe and from what I am seeing the O2 bung is too close to the turbo?

I am not running an aftermarket ECU, so I guess all this datalogging BS does not pertain to me.  I want a wideband with gauge that just tells me to shut 'er down before the SHTF with my engine, nothing more nothing less. What do I need? I looked at AEM, but I see all this extra wiring, and combined with everyone telling me Poncho who is welding up MSA downpipes is putting the bung too close I am all confused.

Do I just leave the wire for the O2 sensor from the 83 harness unplugged?

Not here to answer your question, but I'm eagerly awaiting some hopefully knowledgable responses. I want to have a wideband for the same reason...plus it's kinda a bling factor too ;)

I know some widebamd manufacturers even have a sensor that will output a narrowband (like a normal O2 sensor) signal too so your stock ECU still knows what's going on, which would be SWEET.

You'll need to add a second o2 sensor bung for the wideband sensor. Any muffler shop can do this, just tell them where you want it.

Since your wiring it independent of any ecu, its stupid easy -- power and ground, then the sensor harness to the gauge harness.

Leave the stock o2 sensor in place and wired like factory.

Any wideband will do what you want. Ive used innovative in my last car and use autometer (b/c i wanted matching gauges) in my Z, I like both.

Edited by ryan95i4

Combine the above two posts and you've pretty much got it. The key is that your stock ECU wants to see a narrowband signal, so you'll need to get a wideband setup that can output a narrowband signal. The Innovate stuff does that and I'm sure the AEM stuff does as well, and probably most others. Many people have had trouble with the Innovate products so it may be best to go with something different. And yes, you'll likely want to add an additional bung farther downstream from the turbo. If you do that, make sure the bung doesn't face downward so the sensor doesn't get affected by any condensate. To be safe, have the bung installed facing as much upward as you can, but make sure you account for any sensor clearance issues with the body of your car.

To combine the above suggestions even further, you can choose to install a bung extender/heat sink like this one.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-motorsports-hbx1-heatsink-bung-extender-3729-p-73.html

Thread it into the original too-close bung, then thread your wideband into it. Send the narrowband emulation wire to your ECU, and everybody's happy.