HybridZ

full coverage insurance on ls 280z??

_X_

I know some of you guys have dropped some serious coin on ls/rb swaps. What are you doing about insurance??? By the time I get done with my swap I will probably have around 15k-20k into the build and I want to protect my investment!!! Anybody have a hybrid Z as a daily driver with full coverage??

I have full coverage insurance on my Z. It WILL NOT cover the cost of replicating the car, unless you get collector car or specialty car insurance from a company like Hagerty or a stated value policy from another insurer.

Full coverage is nice, but the insurance company doesn't give a damn how much money you've spent on the car...they only care about what the car "books" at. The replacement cost is not considered, it's the "we're going to give you this much for your car because this is what we think it's worth" cost. Without a stated value policy and a current appraisal, you're not going to cover the replacement cost of the car with simple "full coverage" insurance.

AGREED VALUE COVER!

Yes, caps lock is intentional.

AGREED VALUE COVER!

Yes, caps lock is intentional.

This is the way to go, I have State Farm , I did have to document the replacement value of my Z, mine is valued at 45,000.00 $  :icon12:

Doesnt collector car insurance now do like unlimited mileage? At least some do I hear. But it is not cheap by any means.

Hagerty has mine. Everything is covered. The only requirement is it has to be garaged, and you have to have another insured daily driver. No mileage limits.

You pay by the amount of coverage you want it covered for. I have $30,000 full replacement coverage for a tad under $400 a year. I get unlimited flatbed tow (up to 150 miles), and that covers my daily driver too.

How does an Agreed Value Policy work with a car being totaled and buying it back?

Ex. If State Farm/Geico/Progressive totaled my car out and I could buy it back for $1000, is it likely to be the same for an Agreed Value Policy?  Or is there no way to reacquire the car once it has been totaled under an agreed value policy?

Agreed value is just exactly that. you and the insurance company agree on a value you think the car is worth, they look up their statistics and figure out how likely you are to crash or be crashed into, they multiply their statistic by the value and come up with a monthly premium.

You get totaled, they just subtract you the excess on your policy and write you a cheque. No blue book, no pricing ebay, no digging up receipts to argue they should pay you more than their basement price. A simple, known figure on a cheque.

Buy-backs, salvage titles, all the rest of that set of issues is up to the companys own policy, I would expect the same policy for buy-backs for totaled agreed value as for replacement or full cover. All you are doing is eliminating the argument of whether the blue car with 215,000 miles the company found in the rust belt as replacement is equivalent to your just totaled rare sunset yellow colour with 90,000 miles from California.

You either get back your car in the same pre-crash state, or a cheque for the amount you have been paying premiums on. That is all there is to Agreed Value.