HybridZ

Brake Lines Vs John's Kit

I see where it is mentioned in the manual (John's) to re-route the brake lines away from the frame rails. Is it necessary, who has done it and where did you end up re-routing them. Please post pictures of your mods if you do not mind.  I am cleaning up my engine bay after pulling my 385 out. Man, there are a bunch of holes to weld or JB weld closed.  I also pulled the original wiring harness and am going to rewire the entire car with a Painless wiring kit and a homemade custom relay box. I have a feeling the word "Painless" will be anything but that...LOL

Mike

Mike,

I just finished doing the same thing, cleaning the engine compartment. I have a 78 so the brake line is a little easier to move away from the exhaust than on an earlier car. The line hold down appears to be in a different location. Anyway it's easy to move. Just bend it closer to the inner fender. As for the wiring, I also tried to hide as much as possible and I think I did a pretty good job. All of the relays have been relocated from the engine compartment to under the dash behind the glove box.

I'll snap some pictures of the final product and post here a little later.

Joe

Edited by rags

Cool, thanks guys!  May re-route them anyway as a friend nicked the passenger side line with my grinder last night. It's not leaking but has me worried, not something I want to fail at 140 mph going down the track!

In regards to the wiring, I did mine not long ago and one of the things I wish I had done was to take the harness to the headlights/fan/horn/signals/etc and tuck them under the right fender.  I didn't use a painless kit, but it was similar.  Most of the car wasn't that bad, just make sure you make solid connections.  The hardest part was wiring to the combination switches on the column.   

Good luck

Ryan~