HybridZ

Had to share spindle pin love story

While preparing for the coilover conversion on my 75, I pulled the entire nut of parts from each side of the car as a complete unit to weld on the new perch, clean things up, change bushings, etc. While I had it out and after reading all the horror stories about removing spindle pins I thought I'd leave it alone and work around it. But the damn thing just kept staring my in the face, DARING me to try and remove it.

Curioustiy got the best of me and I decided to give it a try. I took off the bolts, removed the pin and tapped on the end a few times with a hammer, shot some WD and bam!

I PULLED IT OUT WITH MY HAND! Victory is mine.

Through everything I've done on this car (entire front end, headers, etc.) I have yet to have a bolt or nut fight me. Knock on wood. Like Valentino Rossi says "it has a soul and looked my into the eyes and said "I love you"."

My realtionship with this car was meant to be.

Edited by str8pipez

I was having a lucky streak with bolts coming out fine until I tried unbolting my alternator. I had to unbolt the bracket from the engine and then break the alternator to get it off. I hope your streak continues.

I was having a lucky streak with bolts coming out fine until I tried unbolting my alternator. I had to unbolt the bracket from the engine and then break the alternator to get it off. I hope your streak continues.

Strange, several times I've had one of the "pivot" bolts break locking the alternator to the bracket, but I've never had trouble unbolting the bracket from block with the alternator attached. Granted a set of swivel head ratcheting wrenches may be the key. 

WOW, I do not believe it at all. JK. On my whole V* swap everything went so well, no problems at all.  EXCEPT that spindle pin. That was just such a pain in the butt. I looked at the pic in the manual that showed some hulk man just easily pulling it out with his hand and it made me nervous about how hard I was trying. Eventually I found someone that just suggested cutting at the gaps then smacking the pieces out. So that is how I did it. 

I really wish you got a video of you doing that, just to show off to everyone. 

Second side came out as well! I used a center punch to tap it out, but essential it was a 2 minute breeze. I caught it on video but it's very pixelated. Trying to see if I can fix the quality. As a bonus (if I need one) the PO of the car had the new urethane bushings for both rear control arms.

• 4 weeks later...

Second side came out as well! I used a center punch to tap it out, but essential it was a 2 minute breeze. I caught it on video but it's very pixelated. Trying to see if I can fix the quality. As a bonus (if I need one) the PO of the car had the new urethane bushings for both rear control arms.

I would go buy a couple of lotto tickets!

chris

I would go buy a couple of lotto tickets!

chris

I wouldnt bother, I think he just used up his years supply of luck :P 

Mine was a nightmare.  Lost my spindle pin puller id had in storage for a couple of years- Ended up cutting the ends off so i could remove the arm and took it to a few places.  Most turned me away.  Finally found one that was confident he could do it- First attempt resulted in a broken press.   Tried again in the presses "bigger brother"-  After a few bottles of map gas to heat it up (might be a slight exaggeration), it was left in it under pressure for a few hours.  Nothing but a crushed ego on the technicians part.

So whatd I do?  Ended up going home and destroying my garage to find the spindle pin puller that had been misplaced by my family during some spring cleaning, and bought a new control arm.  Took some loving but the puller finally did its job.

Second best tool-related goodie ive bought for my Z.  The first best?  A very extensive set of taps/dies.  Every nut/bolt i ever touch goes through them,  and as a result it goes back together like new :)

Edited by Sideways

I wouldnt bother, I think he just used up his years supply of luck :P 

Mine was a nightmare.  Lost my spindle pin puller id had in storage for a couple of years- Ended up cutting the ends off so i could remove the arm and took it to a few places.  Most turned me away.  Finally found one that was confident he could do it- First attempt resulted in a broken press.   Tried again in the presses "bigger brother"-

I had a similar experience except except I used my spindle puller to pull the off threaded portion of the spindle pin! I wound up scrapping one of my housings after I had sectioned and welded it back together. I even drilled a hole thru the pin lengthwise and the pin is still there.Thank goodness for a parts car! I had to earn my spindle pin merit badge on my parts car. It was easy, both pins pulled right out with the puller.

chris

I goofed with the pin puller the first time I used it: I left the big washer on to protect the bushing. Big mistake- the washer jammed on the tapered part of the spindle pin-liked to never get it off. Had to dremel the washer in half. Put the puller back on and it was magic. For other side I took the washer up and let the puller tear up the bushing a bit and the pin came out perfectly as advertised. Next time I'm replacing spindle pin with a bolt and stopping the madness.

After reading all the horror stories about pulling the pins I rolled up my sleeves to give it a try. The first one practically fell out (slight exageration). The second one, not so much. 18" breaker bar, home made puller broken and rewelded once, 3# hammer, mapp gas and pb blaster fumes it is out-and destroyed.