HybridZ

Is this considered a low vin?

I've got # 5362.. 11/70,  it's in rough shape, Rust, Quarters need replaced, pin holed floor pans. it was sanded and abandoned. but I bought it for $400, mainly because it came with tons of spare parts that I can part out if I never get to the 70'.   The thing is, I will NEVER NEVER get anything more than I've put into the car. Even if I fix the rust and paint it it's still not going to be worth all that much because there's a lot of other cars in better shape.  The reason I wanted this car is A> It's a Series 1, and B> It's the same age as I am. It's cool TO ME for that fact alone. if it was a VIN Sub <1000 it might be worth more based on that fact alone.  Problem is that 90% of the buyers out there don't care about it's lower Vin, they're looking for something to mod or something to part on Ebay.  So unless you're very lucky to find someone who understands the value of a restored early Z, you won't get what you're hoping for the VIN.  There's another thread on low vins here you might find interresting: 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/106048-low-vin-number-value/?hl=low+vin

Phar

#806 here........Tony get your ass over here already.......lol...

I have a draft from work to you Sean!

Looks like we are passing ships. I should simply send you the Pay Pal (or fedex that check when I get to town in April.)

As for who's looking for VIN's---that all depends on where and how you market it.

Nobody would believe I got people who paid $2,200 for a rolling shell of an early 260Z... but there is a market out there. Just have to find it!

I've got # 5362.. 11/70,  it's in rough shape, Rust, Quarters need replaced, pin holed floor pans. it was sanded and abandoned. but I bought it for $400, mainly because it came with tons of spare parts that I can part out if I never get to the 70'.   The thing is, I will NEVER NEVER get anything more than I've put into the car. Even if I fix the rust and paint it it's still not going to be worth all that much because there's a lot of other cars in better shape.  The reason I wanted this car is A> It's a Series 1, and B> It's the same age as I am. It's cool TO ME for that fact alone. if it was a VIN Sub <1000 it might be worth more based on that fact alone.  Problem is that 90% of the buyers out there don't care about it's lower Vin, they're looking for something to mod or something to part on Ebay.  So unless you're very lucky to find someone who understands the value of a restored early Z, you won't get what you're hoping for the VIN.  There's another thread on low vins here you might find interresting: 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/106048-low-vin-number-value/?hl=low+vin

Phar

Very true, mine has a build date of 09/70 and I would have restored it "sort of" if it had had matching numbers, but the 5 speed with 280 block... in pieces didn't compute as an "investment".  So, I spent the last 15 years playing with it, learning how to do body work and how not to do body work.  It's been sort of like a very expensive long term love doll... always playing with the body.  This year, it might actually run and be licensed.

G

Yep, if its not "numbers matching" the prime reason collectors look is gone.

Unless you have the service paperwork and a "no serial number" service block replacement (only VERY EARLY cars got these!)

In fact, we have an original owner 240Z owner in the club that blew the original uncounterweighted crank AUTOCROSSING the car, and has one of those. In fact, I'm club historian, and have photos in the club album of the day it blew, and him smiling fiendishly later in the dealer service drive with the paperwork (and even later that year at open track events and AUTOCROSSING the replacement engine!)

THAT car, even though it doesn't have "matching numbers" has PROVENANCE and a STORY...

And THAT is the stuff people PAY for!