HybridZ

Tool to Remove inner cv joint for z31 axle swap to s30?

zgeezer

Is there a tool for removing splined inner cv joints?  Hitting it with a heavy brass hammer or using a 1.5 inch x 2 foot pipe, as suggested in several other posts, is simply not working for me.  I'm practicing on a Pathfinder front axle with the expectation of using the short center bar with my z31 inner/outer cvs to "cure" the suspension drag/interference I have. 

G

Looks like there's a snap-ring.  The FA chapter has a procedure (see link below), jump to FA-30 and -31.  Interested in how it works for you.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

I appreciate the link; but, it does not show how to remove the inner joint.  It does state that the "joint at the wheel side can not be separated".  The schematic shows a circlip holding the CV joint on the center bar.  The re-installation of the splined CV joint is done by tapping the splined stub to drive the CV joint onto the center bar.  If it is tapped on it would be logical that it would be tapped off.

Tomorrow, a BMF dead hammer and a larger drift.  I've beat up my concrete floor by slamming that 2' pipe down...with the axle and joint inside.  The pipe makes a perfect fit over the center and does not impact the cage.

We'll see....  .

g

Mount axle firmly in vice. Have your best friend grab the stub of the inner cv and pull down hard while you hammer hard with a dead low hammer. Find a new best friend. Going back together is just as difficult. Best to have lots of friends and lots of beer.

Mount axle firmly in vice. Have your best friend grab the stub of the inner cv and pull down hard while you hammer hard with a dead low hammer. Find a new best friend. Going back together is just as difficult. Best to have lots of friends and lots of beer.

There is, in fact, a tool designed to remove stubborn CV joints, look here.  It looks like a chisel with a crescent shaped shoe, rather than a cutting edge, angled out to allow one a good clean strike.

This weekend, I'll sacrifice my truck lug wrench.  Cut the bell shaped  end vertically to give me that "crescent" that should slip around the axle and grind the bottom of the bell to angle the shaft out and away... far enough to allow one with impaired eye/hand co-ordination to hit the tool and not bounce off the axle..... you did say "beer and friends", right.

G

I gave some bad numbers above, Page 30 is the 4 cylinder axle.  Bottom of -31 is the "DS-90" VG30 inner CV.  Drawing attached.

Aftermarket CV axles can be totally different internally than the Nissan factory axles.  Only the parts that connect to the car are the same.  EMPI, for example.

post-8864-0-21022300-1363800316_thumb.jpg