HybridZ

Just another SR20DET 240Z build... not 56k friendly (if that still exists)

CasperIV

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Nice build man. Great work ,any updates?

Also, you mentioned the tranny mount is a bolt in into the stock location, but what about the engine mounts?

Do those bolt to the stock holes too or are they weld in? Any pics of those mounts?

Thanks!

Nice build man. Great work ,any updates?

Also, you mentioned the tranny mount is a bolt in into the stock location, but what about the engine mounts?

Do those bolt to the stock holes too or are they weld in? Any pics of those mounts?

Thanks!

I had the same question, my mounts are custom and I was told to mount the mount to the engine then drop in the engine and where it sits nice you drill in holes for bolts. I don't know how the mckinny or vildini ones go though

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for being away, I have been extremely busy. The engine mounts are the McKinney mounts on my car (there are a lot of similar mounts). They are a basic cradle design that just rest on the frame rails. In my case we installed them both with welding and hardened bolts. Basically we wanted a fail safe in case it came a part under hard driving at the track or on a long road trip. Here are some pics I have of the mounts. There are actually some lighter versions that I would have liked to use from JWSportCars.com but they didn't have any available when I started my project.

856757_664998840189214_1365798248_o.jpg1415565_664999906855774_1455921037_o.jpg1522588_664999980189100_1463795714_o.jpg1553522_668473903175041_1977814859_o.jpg

Edited by CasperIV

• 3 months later...

Now that I read over your thread and are spending some $$.  If you end up going with EFR and full race you might as well get their twin scroll manifold T4 style and get the newer/bigger mixed flow EFR turbo in the same twin scroll setup.  They've got dynos showing it still does better in response than a 2871r yet makes so much more overall.  You may find yourself with some clutch slipping and transmission issues depending on driving style and actual results with power.  Personally, I think I got just as much fun factor of a turbo upgrade by moving to the 350z 6 speed instead of the stock 5 speed SR transmission.  It was a bit of a pain though I admit doing the swap.

As for the 6 speed conversion, I actually have that on the list of potential upgrades. Initially I just want to get everything tested and bullet proof, then I'm going to pick an upgrade to do, test the heck out of that, then move on. I'm setting this car up to be as rugged as possible so that I can jump in and beat on it without worrying about having to fix it along side the road.

It's been a long time since I posted my initial build plans. Having spent some time talking to the guys at Full Race through email, I think I may very well do a twin scroll setup. I think the first phase will be to move to do ECU replacement so that I can get some time playing with it and tuning before I make big changes to the boost or fuel systems. The new Haltech Elite has me drooling a bit, and I maybe willing to delay buying other parts just to get that ECU and do some playing with it on the bits that came with this engine before I upgrade. It will just depend on the wife and how much money I can spend and how quickly before it becomes a "conversation"  ;)

Unfortunately my car was back burnered until this winter while we wrap up my Dad's 55 Buick, but it's almost done and then mine should wrap up fairly quick. The same guy doing work on his car is who was going to do my fab work to convert my spare tire well into a tool box and the wiring harness, but I gave up my spot in line for the Buick. His car just got a full undercoating, powder coated frame and suspension bits, fully rebuilt suspension, brakes, and engine. Right now the engine is going back together and some little touches are being done to give it a little something special before it is out the door.

860378_529098260445940_898775348_o.jpg10549776_767557803266650_4543140015327251052475_588020001220432_1815205233_o.jpg

Edited by CasperIV

• 4 months later...

Just an update for everyone asking what was happening with the project. I put the project on hold this winter while we moved it to another shop and the wiring harness is sorted. Unfortunately I hired a shop to do the work on the harness and it never happened, so I had to order another one through McKinney Motorsports... but now it's been a couple months and I can't get a hold of them either. Hopefully McKinney will get back in touch with me at some point or I'll find out what happened to them so that I can get back to making progress.

Casper - I had a very good experience with Wiring Specialties.  They completely took my Haltech Sport 2000 Harness and made everything to length, terminated the connectors (to include repairing the 83 Turbo CAS ends).  Wiring Specialties had it for 9 weeks, they had projects in front of mine and communicated that to me beforehand.  When I opened the box and looked at the completed harness, I was impressed.  Talk to Yury about a harness before buying anything.  He could have made me one cheaper than the one I bought from Haltech and then had him "cut it to fit". He was responsive to emails and answered the phone or called me back if need be.    

I took some pictures and did a write up on their work.  

http://my260z.net/?p=1539

Pete

Edited by thomas461

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try McKinney Motorsports new offering of a customized harness as it is virtually to OEM spec for weight, wrap, etc. I hate a lot of custom harness work because they rarely use high quality and "excessive" durability wire. If I hadn't already ordered the wiring harness back January I would have been interested to get in touch with them. Hopefully this harness is as good as promised, otherwise I will be extremely pissed off waiting this long and double pissed if I have to go with another vendor in the end. This is already a compromise as I would have liked the first job had worked out because it would have been a nicely tucked and would have seemed almost as if it were OEM.

That looks like quality work. If this falls through I'll give him a call. The SR harness is an ugly blob.

UNCUT-sr20de_L.jpg

Edited by CasperIV

• 5 months later...

For all those sending me messages/emails, sorry for the long down time. The owner of the shop I was working with for fabrication decided to retire and close his shop which necessitated some quick shop juggling to get my parts and car to somewhere to get odds and ends wrapped up so it would be able to come back to our shop. Now that the car is home I'm working to knock the seals back into the car and get it buttoned up for washing, then the paint guy can do his touch ups and wrap up his work that's been delayed for months.

12002484_988005504555211_536877235669048

• 1 year later...

Since I'm sure a lot of people who have been messaging me think the project is dead and all the images are broken, if you are interested in following this project you can catch it on my YouTube channel AmbiVe or my website www.ambive.com as one of the featured projects. It maybe taking forever, and possibly cursed, but I will finish this project!