HybridZ

Holset HX35w install

MaTTSuN

Well the time has come to swap my stock T3 with the holset i had kicking around

I've re-drilled the mounting holes on the turbo, broke a few drill bits but surprised how easy it was to drill

Ive read that some guys needed to put a spacer to clear the manifold.. looks like mine is fine. its tight but it clears 

fabricating the waste gate actuator from the T3 to fit on the holset...then i ran out of steam for the day when i couldnt find a part i just had hehe 

Matt

B. whisky

the welds on the manifold are because i needed to straighten it a whole back, i cut it and bent it back " i knew someone would pick up on that"

Letitsnow:

I might have a friend with an extra external waste gate lying around, I wont fully install until i have confirmed with him. I really want to run a screamer pipe, they sound amazing. I guess the HX35w is a little different. I have an HX40 as well but havent test fit it.

Big-Phil

Thats what im looking for, i pulled everything apart to fix exhaust leaks but found the T3 had to much shaft play. Time to swap the turbo i had in storage for  the last couple years... I know you have had a few different set ups but do you remember the difference in spool time to the T3?  Also do you have an old Map for the Holset :wink: Im running megasquirt as well.

Been following your builds love your RB30

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

a little progress

i got a tail waste gate from a friend so i had to use that :-)

it had 2 springs a 15psi and 7  im going to run the 7 for now then switch to the 15 

excited to see how she runs with a new turbo :-)

post-675-0-73315300-1365387459_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-57857400-1365387716_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-52768800-1365387769_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-75812200-1365387823_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

all fired up this weekend

Still no Exhaust and it needs a tune

Also got my parts in for my EDIS Ill set that up when i get her running well again. Just to make sure everything is working well before i change anything.

Matt

well after doing some hunting for a vband that will fit my HX35W and not finding a good solution. I measured my HX40 to find that the Vband is 3" !! i have a 3"vband that fits this :-)

Im going to install the HX40 so i can simplify my exhaust lay out

A little pissed since i have everthing together and running

Silver lining though is that the shaft play on the HX40 is allot tighter than the 35

besides being a higher number are there any benifits or dissadvatages between these 2 turbos?

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

well, good news and bad news

Good news is i got my exhaust complete and my car running with the new turbo. 

bad news is it makes 20 psi, maybe more because i let off the throttle. 

I have my waste gate hooked up to the top of the waste gate, its a tail external  

I have a 7lbs spring in it but its way beyond 7 psi...  any tips? here are some pics

post-675-0-07025600-1370316460_thumb.jpeg

post-675-0-81118000-1370316468_thumb.jpeg

That doesn't look right. Your boost line should be running UNDER the piston, so that boost pressure helps lift the puck. I think the way you've got it hooked up now, boost pressure is holding the wastegate shut.

Just found that as well

thanks for the quick reply, just took it for a drive and she makes about 8 psi

and the screamer pipe sound pretty sick!

once I figure out my wideband O2 then ill put the 15psi spring in :-)  

Its funny how i can go from completely gutted too super happy in just mear moments