HybridZ

VH45 + 240z. oil filter clearance fail.

Sim

hey guys - do you know of a oil filter relocation kit that bolts directly to the VH45 block instead of screwing into the oil filter mount like most do? neither the filter, nor the mount fit, so I have to remove the mount entirely, and bolt some hoses to the block. I'm thinking about cutting the existing mount, and threading in some hoses. thoughts?

thanks,

Sim

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys - do you know of a oil filter relocation kit that bolts directly to the VH45 block instead of screwing into the oil filter mount like most do? neither the filter, nor the mount fit, so I have to remove the mount entirely, and bolt some hoses to the block. I'm thinking about cutting the existing mount, and threading in some hoses. thoughts?

thanks,

Sim

I too am thinking of cutting/drilling/threading the bolt on oil block. Do you have any pictures of the clearance issue? I'm waiting on some oil pan modifications before I can start hoisting the engine in and out..

Hey Tyler; I'll let you know how it goes, and submit pictures. I've already unbolted the oil filter mount, and cut it in half, a couple inches away from the block-side ports. This gives about an inch for NPT (tapered pipe) threads. I picked up two 3/8" NPT elbows to thread into the block-side, and two, 2-foot long, 1/2" hydraulic hoses with 3/8" NPT fittings on both ends. It is a restriction, but I think (hope) it'll be ok. If its not, I'll have to think of something else.

Hey Tyler; I'll let you know how it goes, and submit pictures. I've already unbolted the oil filter mount, and cut it in half, a couple inches away from the block-side ports. This gives about an inch for NPT (tapered pipe) threads. I picked up two 3/8" NPT elbows to thread into the block-side, and two, 2-foot long, 1/2" hydraulic hoses with 3/8" NPT fittings on both ends. It is a restriction, but I think (hope) it'll be ok. If its not, I'll have to think of something else.

you shouldn't go any smaller the -12an on any of the oil lines to and from thee pump. it has been done before with major oiling issues. search on nico club. 

also i lowered the price of the oil blocks i had made.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i think 200 shipped is the new price? a fair bit of design went into these.

I have one on my vh into datsun cedric project which has very little room between the block and chassis rail and with 2 90deg fittings the hoses come out right next to the block.

• 7 months later...

i think 200 shipped is the new price? a fair bit of design went into these.

I have one on my vh into datsun cedric project which has very little room between the block and chassis rail and with 2 90deg fittings the hoses come out right next to the block.

FraZ, what oil filter relocator kit did you use? I bought the block on ebay. wondering if I need to go with a -12 orb to -10 orb reducer. only reason I say this is cause most of the universal kits seem to be -10an. greatly appreciate your advice. I know this bottle necks it and would negate the fact that it starts as a -12 but id like to hear your setup. mine is going in a 240Z swap.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

on my car I just cut the housing back so just enough material was left to weld two -10 aluminum jic fittings onto it..  then with 90degree fittings it clears the frame rail....just....also just clears the front header tube.....also just clears the steering shaft...    vh45de 73 240z