HybridZ

JTR Radiator Alternative?

Hi all,

Considering that JTR no longer sells radiators for the V8 swap, I figured I'd simply follow the manual and install a '84-86 Camaro radiator. The Autozone part number is #CU965 (http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/ALL/CU965). I would then get the associated fan assembly to go with the radiator (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Radiator-Fan-Assembly/1985-Chevrolet-Camaro/_/N-ijj0tZ8iipx?itemIdentifier=270918_111184_7523_).

But I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on whether 2 rows would be more beneficial that a single row, or have I succumbed to the trap that bigger isn't necessarily better? In other words, would a single row be sufficient to cool a 355 small block with the appropriate cooling fan? Does it make a difference that the '84-86 Camaro is 5.0L?

I recognize that the JTR manual recommends one-row radiator, but wanted to verify whether anyone had a contrary opinion or recommendation before I move forward with the purchase. Thank you!

-Jeff

Edited by gravityflyer

The one vs two row question has been debated to death here.  Do more searching as there are several long threads on this issue.

I have used the Camaro radiator recommended by JTR in two 240Z builds.  They have been fine in the California central valley as daily drivers. Just be sure to use a high flow fan.  It really depends on how you will use the car.  Again there have been long debates here so do more searching.

A high flow fan properly installed is required. Do not use a fan that mounts to the radiator core unless you want leaks.

For a fan I am using the Flex-A-Lite 180 with the JTR radiator. It is a good fit for the Camaro radiator. 

See radiator at: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-180

If my JTR radiator takes a leak I will replace it with an Arizona Z radiator since it is a bolt in.  http://www.arizonazcar.com/radiator.html

If you go with the Camaro radiator use the JTR mounting bracket if still available. It is a good fit and  isolates the radiator from the body to reduce vibration that can cause aluminum radiators to crack. 

Attached is a picture of my JTR radiator and fan set up.

BTW, there is a discussion about numbers of cores in the Engine Components  forum.

post-178-0-81856800-1364664337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

I also used the JTR radiator, but I'm running the Taurus dual speed fan setup found here http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry921201.  It moves a lot of air.

I got all of my parts at the local Pick N Pull.

Dual Speed Taurus Fan $35
Volvo Fan Relay w/plugs $10
BMW Temp. Switch w/plug $ 7

Total $52

I riveted the fan shroud to some aluminum bar and bolted it to the JTR mounts.  Simple clean and cheap.

post-4015-0-54407500-1364687599_thumb.jpgpost-4015-0-77606900-1364688565_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fauxre! 

I actually planned on doing the exact same set up. I only wish JTR still sold the radiators.  :-( 

I'm anticipating that at this point I'll instead go with the base radiator for a '84-86 Camaro in lieu of the JTR radiator. I'll then add the Taurus fan.

BTW, I like rivets -- clean install! 

I went to summit racing and picked up a triple pass crossflow alum radiator.  They were out of the double pass radiators and I talked them into selling me the triple pass for the same price as the double pass! :) 

I just measured between the frame rails and found dimensions on the website that would fit.

I am also using the Taurus fan with the volvo relay.  Very good setup in my opinion.  My fan never kicks on at highway speeds and only on low speed at red lights. 

And I still need to shroud in the bottom of the radiator as well!  Only downside to the Taurus fan that I've seen so far is the fan pulls so much juice that it causes alternator to load up so severely that it causes my engine to drop about 200rpm!

I've completely rewired the car using the EZ-wiring kit and have my fan running off the volvo relay and a Saab 4-post 60amp distribution block.  I could only imagine what issues someone would run into using the stock datsun harness.

I ran into similar problems with my first build.  The fan would kick on and my belt would squeal at low rpm's.  I also have burnt through a few relays.  But since then I have been running 60/70amp relays with no problems, and since I rewired the car I no longer have rpm drop or belt slippage issues.  On the old car I found a crimp connector that I had used that had a bad connection and was half black.  Make sure your connections are good!  :)

The JTR radiator is just a stock GM unit out of something like an Astro van.  Mike Knell posted the info once.  If you get the part number off someone who has one (or call JTR and ask them) then it should be available from your local parts store or GM dealer.

But the JTR radiator really doesn't fit a z car all that well, it is too tall.  Summit sells aluminum radiator by dimensions.  If I had to do it again I wouldn't use a JTR style radiator and instead get a generic one from Summit that better fits the stock opening.

Edited by zdlite

I've been considering an ebay radiator. Hard to beat $140 for a bolt in aluminum rad.

I run an ebay Chinese radiator in my malibu with a 406 chevy and have never had issues, and that's here in Texas

Any one try one yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROW-Nissan-Datsun-240Z-260Z-1970-1975-Aluminum-Radiator-AT-MT-New-1971-1972-73-/261126499728?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item3ccc5a2d90&vxp=mtr

I used the Thunderbird fan, it is a one speed and the shroud fits the radiator opening pretty well, using a 4 row Griffin and a 180 thermostat with the computer to turn the fan on at 180, never goes over 190 even in traffic during the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been looking at the eBay radiator and have done a bit of looking. the Arizona Zcar one if you are looking for direct fit is the best option for a high horse power high rpm application. If you are just going for a street application an eBay one will work fine. Just make Sure to check that it is fully welded no epoxy and it should be fine.

After I made my last post I bit the bullet and ordered one of the good eBay fully wielded aluminum radiators from http://stores.ebay.com/Speed-Daddy-Com/_i.html?_nkw=Datsun&submit=Search&_sid=841766438 . It's nice very good build and came with two 10 inch flex fans it is a down flow. Due to the fact I am not pushing over 400hp it will due just fine. ( over the 400 hp mark I would recommend a cross flow ) I can not wait to get it in and see how it dose. And here are a few pics.

post-19246-0-80151000-1368391243_thumb.jpgpost-19246-0-89646200-1368391214_thumb.jpgpost-19246-0-88481200-1368391199_thumb.jpgpost-19246-0-55490500-1368391178_thumb.jpgpost-19246-0-73878300-1368391153_thumb.jpg

I've never regretted spending more money for a good product. Why cut it close on cooling, fuel delivery, transmissions, etc.

Griffin Radiator. 1 55202 X are the numbers I can still see on mine. 1.25 two row. Even can find on Amazon.  Never had a boil over and plenty of hot days, marathon cruises, long summer drive through food, 90-100 degree days.

Over a decade of zero problems, no shroud, two pushers. Shroud and fans mentioned above would be better yet. 

Edited by John Scott