HybridZ

ka24de swap 280z

palmer765s

Hey guys if really been considering this swap because of how hard it is to find aftermarket parts for the L28 (also the limited power you can pull out of them). But if been doing some research and found out that the ka block will bolt up to the l28 tranny (not sure how true it is found it on zcar.com). So I was wondering what you would have to change for the motor mounts if it would drop in or if I could use the McKenny SR20 mount kit because the ka and the SR share the same mounts in the s chassis.. love to have any adtional info on the swap from other people that have done it, words of wisdom. Oh and I do plan on going turbo with it :)

Bolting a L tranny to a KA block is retarded. The KA tranny is stronger and much more abundent so you use the KA tranny and have a driveshaft made.

As for the Mkckinney mounts, they do make a KA kit:

http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_240-260-280Z+KA24DE+swap

The few S30 that I've seen with an KA used custom mounts, because of how they wanted the placement of the motor/trans.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/79096-ka24de-into-240z-swap-completed-with-turbo/

Like BluDestiny said, just get a KA 5 speed trans. You can find them easily with the engine usually for around $400 for both from some S13 guy who pulled the entire thing to do an SR20 swap.

Unless you had a T5 from a turbo model, in which case I'd assume that was stronger, but Im not entirely sure.

As for Mckinney stuff, you get what you pay for. They are expensive but their quality is definitively one of the best out there. I have an RB kit in my Z and it was awesome.

As for the swap in general, definitely do your searching. Find out what you want out of the car. Most of the time, the L28 will be more than powerful enough with a turbo conversion. But if you're set on a KA swap, or just doing something different, look at S chassis forums (zilvia and such) and find turbo builds and the sort of stuff they needed to make the power that they are. For the swap into a Z chassis, search here. There is a lot of useful info on this forum.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

Well I plan on using the mckenny Ka swap kit with a priced tougher ka24e (single can) for the swap basically because I had a 89 240sx with the single cam in it and if gotten so well at working on it ( guy I bought it off of was a retard) that I could have it from running to just the block in the bay in 20 mins damn near with my eyes closed and when turboed it makes the same power as the de and it shares the same designs as the l series front case wise dizzy running off the oil pump shaft son on so fourth

Hey guys if really been considering this swap because of how hard it is to find aftermarket parts for the L28 (also the limited power you can pull out of them).

And then you said...

Well I plan on using the mckenny Ka swap kit with a priced tougher ka24e (single can) for the swap

Do you realize how silly those two sentences are when put together?  You're going from a single cam six cylinder 2.8L engine to a single cam 4 cylinder 2.4L engine because you want to make more power?

What no one has ever looked up what this swap turns the car into ? Almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution not to mention the Ka weighs a shit ton less then the l28. If a sensor or any thing goes bad j can buy one not wait a month for a Nissan direct order. Oh and they actualy sell turbo manifolds for it instead of finding some one else's handmedowns. Not to mention the aftermarket susport Behring the Ka is amazing and you can find every thing you need for them easily not spend days trying to find one part. god you guys are so ******* close minded I'm glad I went to Ratsun

Oh and not to mention the cost difference of making power Ka will make 400hp at the wheels with 1500-2k the same amount of power out of a l28 well you already know that its way more then that. Oh and not to mention that the heads flow 10x better then the L is just another reason. Open you minds people if it wasent for motor swaps out of the ordanary the would he no variety between cars

KA's are still heavy. and the difference in weight honestly would be made up by the L28 hp STOCK FOR  STOCK. I believe an L28 with carbs and headers came in at jsut under 400, I can't imagine there being more than a 70lbs difference.

I don't know what makes you think you have to weait for a month to get any sesnors either, most it took me is a few days wait at autozone to get any sensor.

Modified is a whole different story, but I can't even understand how you think there is a lack of aftermarket for the L28. You don't need a tubular manifold for an L, you don't need an aftermarket intake for an L. Everythign else (ECU, Turbo, clutch, flywheel) can be found aftermarket. If you want to blow money on your single slammer then go for it. Go buy a CX racing manifold and compain when it cracks, I know the L turbo mani won't. and it cost less. and can make the same amount of power.

At least go with a dual cam, you'll get laughed at less. both here and on ratsun.

Edited by BluDestiny

What no one has ever looked up what this swap turns the car into ? Almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution not to mention the Ka weighs a shit ton less then the l28. If a sensor or any thing goes bad j can buy one not wait a month for a Nissan direct order. Oh and they actualy sell turbo manifolds for it instead of finding some one else's handmedowns. Not to mention the aftermarket susport Behring the Ka is amazing and you can find every thing you need for them easily not spend days trying to find one part. god you guys are so ******* close minded I'm glad I went to Ratsun

You can get 48/52 weight distribution just by moving the L28 back a few inches with modified motor mounts.  The KA24DE weighs about the same as the L6 when fully dressed.  The sensors used on the L6 engine are readily available from Nissan, Rock Auto, NAPA, etc. and are on the shelf.

You really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the L6 engine.  Yes, the KA is a good engine and its a good swap for the S30.  Just make sure when you post you have the correct information.