HybridZ

Eibach Springs

I have just received the Eibach progresive rate  lowering springs for my 1978 280z, MSA has them on sale for $189

The front stock spring is 15.5 inches tall the Eibach is 10.5 but they only lower the car 1 to 1.5 inches

I  am instlling this week will let you know how stiff they are.  

post-19195-0-00820800-1364869336_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK  Its done  Springs Installed  with kyb struts,  Car is 1978 280z with sbc with jtr mounts which I installed 15 years ago.

The suspension in the car was original springs with 15 year old gas struts  with 15 inch zx rims and 205 60 tires

Stock sway bar in front no sway bar in back  

After Installation of the Eibach springs the car sits 3/4 inch lower front and back (eibach says 1 to 1 1/4 )

Ride quality is much better, stiff but you still have movement.

For $189  for springs and $200 for shocks total  its a deal.   

Rear installation only required half shafts,e brake cable and brake line never touched the a arms

I have driven the car and  do not seam to  have any issues.  I purchaced from MSA and was not told that the KYB would not work.

They seam fine ,what sort of issues do they say the KYB would have with lowering springs, 

The eibachs lowered less than an inch so maybe they are reffering to coilovers where there is more of a drop in height.

I'm running kyb excel g's on my s13 with tein lowering springs, and new the bumpstops that came with the shocks. I've put 20k miles on them and they are still fine. Everyone says that if you run that combo it will blow out asap. Well they are wrong. Then again I use my240sx as a grocery getter and I don't really ever mess around with it. 

After thinking about this and looking at the strut i am a little confused on how the inner shock piston

could ever reach the bottom of the the shock tube. With the spring fully compressed it  looks as though

the shock piston would be held inches higher than the bottom of the tube.  I can understand with coilovers when you lower 

the spring perch.  Is there anyone who has had this problem using the stock spring perch and the eibach springs ?? 

• 2 months later...

I am going to install the same springs in the fall in my 280z along with the illumina shocks and bump stops, bump steer spacers, urethane bushings etc.

Did the springs settle anymore? 3/4 seems like the kind of drop you get just after you take the car off the jacks before they settle.

I had H&R springs on my probe GT and they took a good week or so to settle in.

I've heard everything from 3/4" to 2" for these springs. I guess I will find out soon.

Post before and after pics if you can.

I bought the same springs from MSA, ride quality is really good compared to other manufacturers. But I am however slightly dissapointed at the drop, but they say 280Z's are higher than other S30's stock? I don't have anything to compare with since my old springs where chopped when I bought the car and hence the reason I bought lowering springs...

I do have a picture of it right after I installed them, they have settled a little bit more but not much.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8z-pDwh1AgA/UctbfAVxnFI/AAAAAAAAAk0/HWJ5rqgmdxA/w976-h549-no/DSC_0136.jpg

Edited by spiff

Thanks for posting spiff.

That looks a lot better than stock, but i see what you mean. It looks like you got about a 1" drop. At least compared to how my car sits now. My 76 280z looks like a monster truck.

I am hoping to hide another 1/2-3/4" with the flares I put on and run the illuminas on a stiff setting. I dont track my car, just building it to be a nice looking, driving and sounding z.

I have driven the car for a hundred miles and she  sits about 1 inch lower then before.

I have owned this car for 30 years and it always seemed raised a bit even after installing a  V-8

The big difference though is the how stiff the new springs are  

The old springs had way to much give and would allow the body to  move a bit on hard acceleration and cornering

I am satisfied with the result as I do not want to go much lower or i will not be able to go over the speed bumps in my neighborhood 

It  just clears with this setup