HybridZ

S30 5 lug hub upgrade - must be from Z31 TURBO? Or is NA OK too.

So there's a few write-ups on this conversion for s30 4 lug to 5 lug hubs but as for the Z31 5-lug hubs - does anyone know if they HAVE to be from a Z31 turbo? Will 5 lug hubs from any (84-87) Z31 which includes non-turbo work ?

Edited by RPGZ31

I am trying to figure out the same exact thing. Yesterday I went to a u pull it yard and got the 5 lug hubs from an 86 300zx NA. These are large and 5 sided and I believe the turbo is small and round. Does anyone know if that's the only differences? Is the back spacing all the same and rotor mounting? If that's the case could you turn down the OD in a lathe the 5 sided NA ones to be the same diameter as turbo ones? NA ones are always in the junk yards but Ive only seen 1 turbo and that was before I had my Z..Also Ive seen some z32 and Z33 brakes on some, but not many specifics on what goes best with what. Any oher brake options with this swap?/ Any insight would be very much appreciated.. There is a 91 Q45 there I will try to get the rear diff and axles to go 5 lug on the back, just trying to figure out the front.

• 2 weeks later...

The 84, 85 Z31 Non turbo hubs are 4 lug and 4 sided and rotor bolts to the rear of the hub.
84-86 turbo hubs are 5 lug and 5 sided and the rotor bolts to the rear of the hub.
86-88 non turbo hubs are 5 lug and 5 sided and the rotor bolts to the rear of the hub. (same as above)
87-88 turbo hubs are 5 lug and are round and the rotor slips off from the front.

I have an 86 Z31 swapped to Z32 brakes and had to buy the 87-88 turbo front hubs to make it work correctly.

As far as bearing fitment to the S30, I am unsure. But I'm pretty damn sure the bearings for the Z31 hubs are all the same.

In summary, there were 3 Z31 hubs

4 lug
         84NA
         85NA

5 lug
         84T
         85T
         86NA / T
         87NA
         88NA

5 lug (slip off rotor)
          87T