HybridZ

Advice on L24E hp gain

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well seems my head gasket is bad at start up I'm getting tons of white smoke and smells like antifreeze I confirmed it when I drove the car to work for 2 days and the antifreeze was getting lower in the radiator so as of now it's sitting and thinking if I really should throw money at the L24E or just swap in another engine I'm debating L28, fix up the L24E or go balls out and do the rack and pinion with the 280zx crossmember and steering column and RB swap. If any old members still active that had there 810's could chime in would totally help as I'm pretty much lost since 810's are rarely modified.

That's too bad about the head gasket.

If it were mine, I would build the l24.

You could pretty easily make200hp using all period Datsun parts. Although a small cam, 270 or less, would be a good idea. It's easier to make more hp per liter with the l24 & l26 because all the stock intake manifolds are too restrictive for the l28 to peak at even 6000rpm. Whereas a late model 280zx FI intake can make the l24 peak at 6500rpm.