HybridZ

Deutschland s30 owners?

I was just wondering if there is anyone in here in Germany, or from Germany.  I am in the Army and am being stationed there in June.  I want to take my Z, but need some advice so I don't have too many issues registering it.  I guess I am most concerned with the inspection process...

For shipping, it needs to run and drive and not leak fluids. If you have a battery kill or anything special, include instructions for starting.

For US military inspections, the big gigs are:

Leaking exhaust

Fluid leaks

Sh!t brakes. Need to have even brake torque side to side

Working ebrake

Cracked light lenses

Cracked glass

Ball joints, bushings, tierods with excessive play

If your car is TRULY in ROADWORTHY condition, you're fine. If anything I listed is wrong, fix it beforehand. While you're there, rockauto is going to be your best friend. Consider selling while you're there. I bought a sh!t n/a '80 ZX from a soldier for $400, got it to pass TUV, and sold it for 3000 euros. Can't beat that with a stick.

Edited by darkstarrocker

All that you listed I should be good on.  What are the restrictions on mods, if any?

Here are my concerns...

-It is registered in my name, but I have never had a title for it since, because of its year, is not needed in GA or AL.

-Excessive exhause noise...  I may need to add a cat or resonator

-It is RB swapped with extensive mods

-And I need to wire my turn signals and horn

I have been building this car for the past 2 years, and is about a month away from completion.  After putting so much money into it, I couldn't imagine letting it sit for another 3 years...

You definitely need horn and turn signals.

You need a title to ship, but to register in the USAREUR system you normally just need a notarized bill of sale. Comes in really hand when daily beaters are 12-13 owner cars!

Mods are fine in the USAREUR system, but Polezei stopped my all the time for my S2000's exhaust. They USAREUR registration normally gets you off the hook. With some work, you could probably have the car TUV'd as well. 

For the exhaust, I'd get a removable muffler section made and just swap it out for inspection time. I'd also use a false cat just to be on the safe side.

You may also want to contact the US embassy to make sure you won't have any issues Re-Importing it back to the US when you return.  It would be a shame if you couldn't bring your baby home after having it out there with you.

WRONG. He's with the military, he'll have ZERO issues bringing his car back. Been there, done that. 

I AM right, because I've done it myself.

His exact same situation, except I took my Corrado over to Germany. Soldiers take their cars into and out of Germany every day. I helped people with their inspections all the time. I helped my soldiers export their vehicles as part of outprocessing all the time. It's 100% military, including bringing a euro spec vehicle back to the states with you, providing it's 25 years old or older. I brought back a German Rabbit Convertible with my Corrado's engine in it.

So I have personally:

-Taken a us spec vehicle into Germany.

-Swapped that engine into a euro - spec car, got it to pass military inspection, AND had it TÃœV'd.

-Brought that modified euro - spec car back to the states and got it titled with NCDMV.

OP, take the Z, you'll be fine, even with mods. You can bring it back with you no problem, but you may sell it when you find out how much money you could potentially sell it for - pm me of you want to know how the Zollamt works. Buy a $500-1000 daily beater when you get there for a dd. You'll be glad you did.

I don't think I'm going to bring it because I still have to get it titled, and my wife is bugging me to bring our VW Passat...  which makes more sense anyway.  I'm just pissed that I've put over $15,000 in the Z in the past 2 years, and now it will sit for another 3.  Oh well, I might buy myself an old Mini Cooper when I get there.  As for selling it...  lol let's just say it's not for sale.