HybridZ

What size aftermarket Rims/tires for 240z?

Hi everyone!  First time poster and proud new 1971 240Z owner here. 

I could use a little help from all of you knowledgeable members.

I'm looking for some rims to replace my stock wheels.  I'm just struggling with wheel and tire sizes.

My car is lowered, by how much I'm not too sure.  It came like this from 2 previous owners ago.  Best idea I can give you is it currently sits on 195/70/14 all around with a 2 finger gap. 

I'm looking to go as wide as I can without rubbing/rolling the fenders.

I'm currently looking at the Diamond SC series wheels.  Are these any good or is there something similar you'd recommend?  I think they come in 15x7 and 15x8.  Do they come in 16s?  I didn't see them on their website.

So I guess my question is what is the widest rim/tire set up I can run on my 240z for 15 and 16 in size wheel?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by 415DZ

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16x8 zero offset  or 4.5" backspace and a 225/50/16 tire. That is stock tire diameter so the speedo will be the same. 

Diamond racing wheels are cheap, and heavy. I would honestly probably rather get XXR's then diamond strictly based off the weight in those sizes. 

Thanks for your help Blu.  Yeah after I posted this I saw a review on those rims.  I guess I just like the look.  Maybe I'll have to look for something else. 

Any other suggestions?  I'm looking for something with a nice deep dish

yeah I did go through about half of the wheel thread.  It takes awhile to go through 88 pages :icon10:

I found these that I really like. Drag DR-27 16x8.25

i-fVvWmTL-L.jpg

What do you think?  The online place I found them has offset 15 tho.  That means they will stick out and rub probably right?

Positive offset means they are further in, not out. Probably don't want those if the offset is that high. It will most likely rub without a 10-15mm spacer. Also that brand, Drag, is a cheaper brand. But if you like them, then I'm not one to knock. 

I guess I've been looking more at looks than quality. Hopefully I can Find something inbetween. I really like the look at the Diamond SC series wheels. Does anyone know of better quality rims that have a similar appearance and fit the 240z?

Here's what they look like http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/index.php/street-wheels/sc-series

Here’s a link to Motorsports wheel page, they do have a non spacer wheel, which fits perfectly.     http://www.xenonz31.com/autotomanualswap.html   Rota's do have staggered sets of wheels; I’ve only looked at 280zx fitment, but should be close to the 240's also. They do look really nice, might require a little fender lip rolling to get the clearance needed, but that’s pretty easy, and only needs to be done to the top of the arch. heres a few pics attached of Yasin's and Fricfrac's 280zx's with Rota's.post-30603-0-40951400-1365363503_thumb.jpgpost-30603-0-90632600-1365363450_thumb.jpgpost-30603-0-89459800-1365363388_thumb.jpg  http://www.racinglab.com/rota-stagger-wheels.html

I haven't listed them yet, but I'm thinking about unloading a set of new 15x7 "hyperblack" deep silver Rota RBs. I need to double check the backspacing on them to make sure they would clear a stock spring. I had them on my car today at the track so I know they fit. PM me if interested. Gonna make somebody a good deal.

The Diamond wheels; any big steelies are going to be heavy ;)

I really like the look of the Diamond SC's.  Kind of simple and retro looking.  Probably fit better with american muscle, but I like the look.  Anyone know of alloys that have a similar appearance?  In 4x144.3 of course.

Welcome to HZ 415. You live in the bay, good to see another person with a Z here :) Im selling my enkie 92's soon but they are not by any means wide. They came on the car when I got it. How bout some pics of the car with how it sits now.

Edited by Perfect240z

Welcome to HZ 415. You live in the bay, good to see another person with a Z here :) Im selling my enkie 92's soon but they are not by any means wide. They came on the car when I got it. How bout some pics of the car with how it sits now.

Here's a few pics I took today.  Hope this gives a better idea of what I can fit under the stock fenders.  Seems there's a greater selection of 15" rims, but less tires for 15".

i-HC3VtKX-M.jpg

i-gCzL44M-M.jpg

i-3wFTW6X-M.jpg

There is a thread dedicated to the shakotans. As for the other 2 I'm sure someone is running them in the wheel pictures thread.

As for PredatorZ's statement, the ZX has much more space in the wheel wells than an S30. You can fit 11" wide rims in the rear under stock metal. No s30 can do that.

After going back and forth a million and 1 times, I'm leaning toward the shakotan's.  I saw a picture of them with a black center and I knew those were the ones.

Does anyone know where to get these? i-JdSWNh4-L.jpg

I guess I can paint them, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

I'm leaning toward 15x8 or 15x9.  I really like the big tire look.  Will 225/60/15 be too much in the rear?  Or should I just do 225/50/15 all around?

You've got to search buddy! They are on ebay but in a 15x7 with a +4 offset. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15X7-ROTA-SHAKOTAN-WHEELS-4X114-3-RIM-4MM-FITS-AE86-DATSUN-240-260-1970-1985-/330723041185?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d00a11fa1&vxp=mtr

They will fit but they will not be flush with the fenders.

If you don't mind painting the centers black then your options open up in size and offset. 

If you're interested in BBS RS style rims, I might be starting a group buy for them in s30 offset. Check the link in my signature.