HybridZ

head leaking coolant

dylanh

My car was getting dyno tuned and above 12psi the head started leaking coolant on the passenger side. It's a 3.0 stroker with a felpro gasket and arp head studs and the block and head were machined before installing so this really surprised me. So my question is should I get a mls gasket and new studs? Or could there be another cause.

Thanks, Dylan

Stop your Detonation Problem First.

All an MLS will do is break your pistons from the detonation you are experiencing.

Yes, you are.

Yes, you are.

YES, you ARE!

No, you won't hear it.

That was my first thoughts too but the lowlifes who are supposed to be a tuning shop said otherwise. I guess I'll pull timing and go from there. What would you guys say conservative timing is above 12 psi? I'll have to pull my tune off of my vipec tomorrow and see what they set the timing to. One day I'll get knock detection...one day.

Dyno operators specifically claim any responsibilities for you doing a piss-poor build.

They're not lowlifes, they're running YOUR build. If you didn't take the necessary steps be glad you had a gasket let go...

Two more strikes left.

I suggest you start doing leak down and compression testing your ring lands and rings are next if you don't correct the problem.

Go to the FAQ, READ ABOUT COOLING!

Timing isn't your problem, cooling is.

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

YES it IS!

24psi cap to start...and digestion of the FAQ.

Edited by Tony D

Well I won't go into the problems the tuner gave me in the three and a half weeks they kept my car. However 16 psi with water/meth injection and an intercooler should have no cooling problems. Iat were way down and coolant temps were also under control however I'll get started with the leak down and compression tests. Thanks

"However 16 psi with water/meth injection and an intercooler should have no cooling problems."

One left... this is almost Biblical "you will deny it three times before the head gasket blows again!"

Well I'm not replacing the head gasket until I find the cause. I'm ordering a knocklink to verify if there is knock and doing leak down and compression tests Monday. Until then I'll continue to drive the car with 0 problems. Although I will not be going into boost. I bought the car with the motor already built. So the are things I need to verify.