HybridZ

RB26 service

Arif

Is there a recommended service that should be done on RB26 motors prior to installing them? I searched but didn't come up with anything. I bought a JDM Z32 TT motor last year and did the 120k mile service which included replacing the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner, etc. I'm trying to figure out ALL the costs involved with buying a RB26. Thanks

I put a brand new N1 oil pump on mine when i put it in, shattered it in less than a week. Buy a good oil pump, luckly i just happened to be watching my oil pressure and had my ems setup to kill the the engine with oil pressure loss. Other than that, just do a timing belt, water pump (stock,not n1), idler pulley, tensioner. I put a new lower timing belt gear on mine, but thats kinda up to you i guess. Make sure you have a good oil pan and pickup setup. 

Upgrade the oil pump. I've heard that's the weak spot.

That being said, I would probably do the water pump an timing kit( if it was high mileage).

Other than that  just basic tune-up items.

I always thought that it was the oil pumps on the early (like R32 series) RB26's that were a weak spot?

Dang, thats expensive for a swap in canada i would think. A basic rebuild doesnt cost much really, in the grand scale of things. Dont mean to sound like a jackass or anything but if your on a tight budget a rb26 may not be the right avenue... rb25 is good to about 500hp. 

Yea but that requires crank removal for proper install. That's on r32. r33 and up where ok, you can google your serial number on your block to find out.

Hey, thank you for the info, always great to learn something new. I have a question about that though. Is that only pertaining to the rb26 or is that the rb25 as well?

I ran my stock rb26 right out of the junkyard. If your not going to be full out racing a stock rb26 does well in a Z without doing allot of stuff. If it dosnt leak and runs with good oil pressure why mess with it. 

• 1 month later...

the oil pump problem is the drive on the crank not the pump. You can get a up-graded drive to fix the problem. N1 oil pump is only a stock pump with highter spring pressure for more pressure,  no Volume increase if you want to up=grade use the GReddy, Tomie or other aftermarket High Volue pump with head restrictors... 

Always replace the timing belt and water pump.  stock is fine for the street......

The N1 pump is different to the stock pump in other ways that just the springs, I don't know who started that rumour but it needs to disappear. The housings are different, the backing plate is different, the gears are bigger in diameter.